Filtration Setups

md14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
Calgary
Just in the process of setting up my first sting ray tank, dimensions are 72'' x 36'' x 20'' and most likely going with a corner overflow (herbie plumbing) was curious how everybody had there sumps setup or what they were using for filtration.

So if you could post up a picture and some specs of your sumps/filtration that would be great.

any comments/suggestions/concerns welcome

Thanks!

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have a 80 gallon sump on my 200 gallon tank. I have dual over flows into the sump with 100 micron sock filters on each inlet for mechanical. For bio I use pot scrubbies. I have 2 5 gallon buckets worth in the sump. The next chamber has 2 mag 18's and 2 300 watt heaters. Here is a link where I first set it up over 2 years ago.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=123868&highlight=200

wheresalbany

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Keene, NH
I have a dual overflow box on my 265 with a 40 gallon sump. I have filter pads on the "drip plate" with 10 gallons of bioballs underneath. I'm also running a FX5 filled with ceramic media.

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
I like those dimentions...

I am using a 50gal sump, with a 20+Gal trickle tower withing the sump. Tower is filled with bio-balls, and there is also a chamber in the sump for submerged medid(6gals or ceramic media) Im only running a quiet one 6000, and getting around 1100gph out of it.
I also only have 2 300watt heaters in the sump... the tank/sump is all acrylic and holds the heat very well so not alot of heating power was needed...
Im also running a pair of Fluval 405's on that tank for mech filtration...

Tank is 284gal.... housing 3 rays and an asian aro.

md14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
Calgary
Bump, anybody else like to share?

I got a little idea drainage from the overflow into filter socks too middle section then to the return. I got the return part pretty much figured out, return pump/heaters/carbon reactor maybe..

Just need help on the middle section, just pack it full of bioballs? I always hear not to use them due to them becoming nitrate factories

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Bioballs are not nitrate factories. The amount of Nitrate in the system is directly related to the amount of ammonia produced and the amount of any Nitrate removing processes (plants, algae for the most part). No matter what filtration the tank has, if all the ammonia is converted to Nitrite and then Nitrate, the same amount of Nitrate will come out the other end.

I'm using pot scrubbers in my filter. This is basically it:

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Well, I suppose technically bioballs ARE nitrate factories, in that they provide a substrate for the bacteria to live. The bacteria convert ammonia into nitrite, and nitrite into nitrate, so the fact of the matter is, they are producing nitrate, but its simply a biproduct of removing ammonia from the system (and necessary for a well functioning, healthy system).

If you keep up with regular water changes, then nitrates should never be a problem.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
if you have nitrate problems just do hydroponics...problem solved....

i have a 180, with 5 retics, a gar, 2 pbass, ck and a bgk...i have a biosystem75, a regent something it is like 350gph, and a fx5 with bioballs in all...i also have 5 vine plants incorperated into the system...nitrites are always at around 10ppm, amonia 0, nitrite 0...i do 75% wc every 2-3 weeks

md14

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
Calgary
I wasn't to clear on the nitrate factories part, Always got the impression that detritus would get stuck in between and on the bio balls, which could become a problem as your not suppose to rinse the bio balls right? But I guess that wouldn't be an issue if I have filter socks before hand and change them regularly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store