Prasites on WC Flowers

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Hello,
About 2 and half weeks ago I got a pair of WC flower rays directly from Columbia. They were doing great in the acclimation - started eating live worms in the first days and were very active.
About 3 days ago I have noticed they became much shayier - burried themselves most of the time. Than yesterday I have noticed that their poo is white and long (today reached a foot long). I took a sample and looked in the microscope and saw parasites.
I am now treating with metronidazole and paraziquantel + high temp.

My questions are as follow:
1) what have caused that? Is the source coming from the fishes (i.e. source in Columbia)?
Can it be that it is coming from the live food I was using
Live blood worms - from LFS
Live black worms - a guy raising them at home and selling them
Live earth worms - from the garden ????

If I would know I would try to avoid it in the future.

2) What is the better likelihood - is that Hexmita (Flagellates) or Cestodes ?

Also: The tank was used earlier for my Motoro pups - and no issue with them. And, alll of my rays were fed with the same food in the other tank.

Thank you in advance,
Avishay

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Chances are they came in with them. I just went through all this with a female that I got. Virtually ate nothing for 3 weeks. Treated with Metro+ full doses daily with 50%+ water changes daily. She started eating on the 7-8 day mark. Ran temp at 80.
I had already treated with Prazi and it had not worked, was advised to use a Metronidazole product.
Had all the same symptoms, burying, sluggishness, especially the long white/clear poo and
so thin I could see every bone she had.

She is doing great.

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Wow, that's very encouraging.
I had luck they felt very good after acclimation so they started eating and even started having a little belly... I hope they have reserves.
My temp is around 85 - was suggested even to get higher. Use full dose of metro daily with 25% water change. A discuss expert told me he is even more aggressive - i.e. full dose every 8 hours. He is claiming the T/2 of the metro is 8 hours. Also suggested having live food which was in a metro concentrated environment.

Any experience with more aggresive treatenment on rays?

Thank you very much for the reply.

Avishay

Trevor0015

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2009
Ames Iowa
Would anyone know where to get Metronidazole or Prazi in a large supply at a good price? Where do you guys shop for it? Also do these include dosage instructions with them?

Trevor

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
Trevor0015;3959456; said:
Would anyone know where to get Metronidazole or Prazi in a large supply at a good price? Where do you guys shop for it? Also do these include dosage instructions with them?

Trevor
Usually you have to call around the Lfs in your area for the products. Also all products come with instructions on back

BUMP, Any updates on the Ray?

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Metro def. at Jehmco.com don't have time to look to see if they have Prazi too (probably do). IIRC you just haveta sign and fax a form saying you're not a drug dealer and won't sell it on then you're GTG.

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
West1;3959603; said:
BUMP, Any updates on the Ray?
4'th teatment with metro full doze so far (daily) - no improvement.
I took a sample of the fecel today and looked again with the microscope - still see living organs. The fecel continues to have white-yellowish color and is very long.

I have expected to have some results by now... quite depressing. The pair looks both suffering - burried all the time. On earlier days I could see some twists which looked to me as pains from the intestine.

Should I go for a more aggresive treat? The rays don't drink much (as far as I know), thus the quantities of medics that the observe are small, isn't it?

Any idea? When did your rays stopped pooing white fecel?

Thanks,
Avishay

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
6'th day update: continue with the daily treatment with metro and about 40% water change. I analyzed some fecel I saw floating in near the filter with my childern's microscope. It took me a while, but I could still see the living organism (maybe less than last time? - hard to tell). The fishes are still burried in the sand most of the time.

What do I do wrong?
How long until this poo will end?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Stop doing water changes unless you HAVE to. The meds need time to work. Also, treating the water won't do much for internal parasites. I'd switch to an internal med like panacur to help wipe out your bug.

avishay

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Israel
Zoodiver;3967670; said:
Stop doing water changes unless you HAVE to. The meds need time to work. Also, treating the water won't do much for internal parasites. I'd switch to an internal med like panacur to help wipe out your bug.

Zoodiver, thank you for your thoughts (BTW, I have seen some pics of you doing force feed, amazing). I will stop water change, but I can't see how I make them eat (without force feed, where I am afraid I could harm ruther than help).
Can panacur be used in water? Does it affect more than hexamita?

Thank you.
Avishay

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store