new gar yeah buddy

TheBlackPearl

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2010
El Paso,TX
so here my new gar about 9 inchs but i have not seen him eat its been two days kinda worried:confused: any help i have market shrimp frozen blood worms floating pellets dried brine shrimp have not seen him take any of it heres a pic of him and the new monster tank i just built 10x2x2 yeah buddy :headbang2

100_0649.JPG

100_0631.JPG

EvilKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
SOUTHERN CALI.
nice tank and dimensions some gars only eat live foods and have not been trained onto frozen or pallet try feeding him live fish and slowly switching to frozen they can fast for over a week mine didn't eat till 5 days after i got him is that a florida or spotted gar?

EvilKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
SOUTHERN CALI.
i guess it could be a rear pattern i know most juvies have strips and develop spotts when they start maturing you said 9 inch mine had spotts at 8 and he is now 10 they grow fast about an inch or more per month if feed regularly

oh feeders ummm goldfish or silver sides even rosy minows or guppies anything small enugh to fit in his mouth you would be surprised how big they will strech they jaw mine can eat med size golfish about 2 or 3 inch

EvilKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
SOUTHERN CALI.
yeah goldfish suck they dirty i dont feed often only when i need cheep food but guppies is the way to go maybe start a small breeder tank cuz it gets pricy buy male and a few females they multiply like crazy and you will have food in about 2 or 3 months untill then i guess just buy them for as cheep as you can get them only guppies here are fancy and they run 3 bucks a fish while goldies are 23 cents lol

EvilKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
SOUTHERN CALI.
umm i have a 30 gal with 2 males and 4 females i separate the females into breeder boxes when they supper fat and they usually have like 50 babies or so a month each then just wait till the babies big enough to know they need to run from parents and thats it let them go theirs like 100 in it lol all different sizes i try to leave the breading ones alone and give male juvies first cuz males guppies will kill them off and wont bug the females till they old enough to breed

my girlfriend loves the guppie tank she takes care of them shhh dont tell her i take the babies for food lol

EvilKid

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2009
SOUTHERN CALI.
oh they like to hide in vegetation or even fake plants from time to time where you planing on adding decor to your tank? how much was he mine was 40 at 6 or 7 inch

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store