Small Datnoid tankmates

Matt181

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2007
Hertford, UK
Hi all

im getting a small dat and am going to put him in a planted growout to get him big enough for my big tank (i am aware this could take time lol) however i have seen from past experience that Dats are shy and i would love for the little fella to come out. do dither fish work for Dats? would a shoal of small tetras encourage him out? (they wont be there for long i guess lol)

i am also thinking of upgrading my lighting on the planted but read that Dats dont like bright light, but like the security of planted tanks? catch 22?

Cheers
Matt

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I would suggest you get a few small dats instead of just 1. At a very small size like that, they're scared and will hide if they're the only one of their kind in the tank.

If you can't get another dat, try to get similar looking fish like tiger barbs or clown loaches. That might do the trick and get your dat to become more active.

desmondekker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2009
singapore
i'm keeping a solo piece with some wild discus and angel fish. that will lure the dat out for a swim more often. discus is very spontaneous to feed que too...so the dat will follow suit. i'm thinking of getting some oscars. good luck with your comm!

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
I bought 1 thinking the same thing, then bought 2, then 3, and then 2 more :). I did that on the advice of the guys here and worked out fantastic. I now have 5 IT dats out and about. Its kind of fun watching one chase each other all over the tank.

I keep them with 2 red Severums and 5 Rosy Barbs. I wanted to return the barbs, but I can't catch them.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store