females intimidate males?

stingray_tj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
seattle
:jaw-droppdo females dominate males untile breeding time? after geting a new female my male is very timmid now..he was eating great an swimming for hours now not even eating.. could tthe light being off be causing this?? how long after the new female stingray is inn the tank with the light off is it ok to turn it back on with out putting to much stress????

'

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I will be honest, I don't turn the light off when adding new rays. I have done this only 2 times with some fresh imports that would not eat for over a week. There is a chance your male could be stressed but normal a established ray doesn't stop eating from stress unless the new one is picking on him. Sometimes rays go on a food strike. The new ray could of made your tank spike in ammonia or nitrite while the filtration is adjusting to the new load. That could of made him stop. What size tank and filtration are you running and what kind and size rays?

stingray_tj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
seattle
great.. so i might have cuased this.. im feeling bad now. so ill turn the light on today then its been 3days..it could be the ammonia but i had 2 other blood parrots in that i removed to add this second stingray. total i have 2 stingrays 4inches around an 1 blood porrot a few inches bigg an thats it in a 90 gollon tank with a 100 gallon canitser filter an a 70 gallon hang on the back filter for back up. both running..any ideas???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store