12 inch gar not eating

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
i recently bought a 125gal tank and the owner gave me a i have a 12" florida gar and 12+" zebra talapia buttikoferi neither of them are eating.
NO2 - 0.5
PH-7
KH -80
GH- between 0 and 30
ive tried feeding them flakes, pellets, and today feeders still nothing its been 3 days. the gar ate a few pellets two days ago that i witnessed.
any sugestions?

Spatula

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2009
Under your bed
Interesting.... I would have thought the feeders would have made them eat. Maybe they'll eat some today.

I would bump the temperature up a notch. I don't know what it is now as it's the one stat you left out, but add on 3-5 degrees from where it's at now and you should hopefully have your desired predation ;)

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Dylz;3967305; said:
i recently bought a 125gal tank and the owner gave me a i have a 12" florida gar and 12+" zebra talapia buttikoferi neither of them are eating.
NO2 - 0.5
PH-7
KH -80
GH- between 0 and 30
ive tried feeding them flakes, pellets, and today feeders still nothing its been 3 days. the gar ate a few pellets two days ago that i witnessed.
any sugestions?
it's been a relatively short time since the move, don't worry the gar'll come to. also, is the tilapia showing any signs of aggression toward the gar? ps, NO2 reading should be 0, and so should ammonia

tigrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
jamaica
Dylz;3967305; said:
NO2 - 0.5
PH-7
KH -80
GH- between 0 and 30
any sugestions?

hes still new to the tank. might tank a week for them to eat. i also highly suggest that you dont feed your fish feeders. pellets and shrimp is the way to go, theres a chance of diease with feeders fish.

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
thanks guys the temp is 78 ammonia is 0
the talapia is showing no aggression at all towards him.
i left for a while came back and see on of the feeders is dead and has a bite mark in his belly but wasnt consumed.
i will bump up the temp.
should i remove the feeders?

tigrey

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2009
jamaica
Dylz;3967858; said:
thanks guys the temp is 78 ammonia is 0
the talapia is showing no aggression at all towards him.
i left for a while came back and see on of the feeders is dead and has a bite mark in his belly but wasnt consumed.
i will bump up the temp.
should i remove the feeders?
i dont like feeders i stay away from them. but its your tank its up to you what you wanna feed your fish

Bennlfer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2009
Nunya
Many people use feeders with success, but many also believe it is risky. Because the conditions in which feeders usually come from, there is a good chance that at least one feeder could be sick, thereby infecting your fish when he eats it. If I were you, i would get him on shrimp, silversides and pellets ASAP, so you dont have to chance it. However, If you quarantined the feeders for a while before feeding them to him (a couple of weeks maybe) it would help reduce the risk.

Dylz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 19, 2009
NYC/NJ
defo i no about feeders and disease, but someone had suggested it so i figured id give it a shot. ill try krill next thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store