"Bars" on Dats

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I hear people using terms like 3 bar, 4 bar, split bar, and stable/unstable when referring to dats. Could someone briefly explain these(name sort of gives some away xD) and which ones are valued more?

Also, where are all the baby indo dats coming from :screwy:

dragonfish18

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Dat Land
its just the description of bars they are usually indo datnoids....and stable just means how brght the yellow/gold is and how dark the bars are..unstable being a dark colored dat
and these things are saposeto be coming in from over seas since noone has mastered breeding them

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
nomad;3969141; said:
I got an idea ......I know it might sound crazy:screwy: ..... but did you try reading the sticky ? :nilly:
sticky 1: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120714

d.pulcher = widebars? i'm more interested in indos as i can actually afford them, so this sticky is of no use.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297687

this sticky simply shows us the different types of dats(ex. NTT, IT, AT), but does not mention the value of fish based on differences in bars on the same type of dat(ex. 3bar vs 4bar on the same type of fish)

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54277

same as the second sticky.

and where in any of the stickies does it explain what stable/unstable is? thanks to dragonfish for explaining it in this thread...

if you could find something i missed from the stickies, let me know...

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Your right, the stickies don't cover your questions. I think what nomad is gettin at is perhaps use the search function. You'll find tons of info. It's a good shortcut...
Re: markings and price, well some people like oddball markings, others like traditional marking (no broken or split bars).
Vendors won't change price for different marked tigers, but buyers may offer more in private sales depending on which they like most.

bongko

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2009
Los Angeles
Freezekougra;3969119; said:
which ones are valued more?
The ST's or pulcher are the highest priced datnoids, but you'll probably only find large ones if you find them at all.

Indo's were priced fairly high last year but now that the markets flooded the price has come down substantially.

If your going to buy a datnoid because of its value then thats your prerogative, but if your looking to buy a datnoid to keep then you should probably do some research on the personalities of each species and decide what is best for your tank.

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
bongko;3969666; said:
The ST's or pulcher are the highest priced datnoids, but you'll probably only find large ones if you find them at all.

Indo's were priced fairly high last year but now that the markets flooded the price has come down substantially.

If your going to buy a datnoid because of its value then thats your prerogative, but if your looking to buy a datnoid to keep then you should probably do some research on the personalities of each species and decide what is best for your tank.
i meant value based on the patterns(ex 3 bar on an indo vs 4 bar on an indo), rather than value based on ST vs IT or something...
i would assume a 3 bar indo and a 4 bar indo(if they both exist), would have similar personalities because they are still both indos

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Freezekougra;3969900; said:
i meant value based on the patterns(ex 3 bar on an indo vs 4 bar on an indo), rather than value based on ST vs IT or something...
i would assume a 3 bar indo and a 4 bar indo(if they both exist), would have similar personalities because they are still both indos
All Indos may be "similar" but not all share the same personality - they are unique. Case in point, certain solitary predatory fish can cohabit with others but another of the same type will devour their tank mates.

As for the prices of the different patterned Indos. Just like Ade pointed out, it is all based on personal preference. Choose an Indo (or multiple ones if you want) with the patterns that YOU desire. At the end of the day, it is you who takes care of him and looks at him. Unless your sole purpose is to raise them for monetary gain. In that case, I would select a variety of Indos because everyone's taste in fish is different; this will yield the best result to matching a particular Indo to a potential buyer @ a maximum price.

Freezekougra

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
CrAzYNeSs;3969925; said:
All Indos may be "similar" but not all share the same personality - they are unique. Case in point, certain solitary predatory fish can cohabit with others but another of the same type will devour their tank mates.

As for the prices of the different patterned Indos. Just like Ade pointed out, it is all based on personal preference. Choose an Indo (or multiple ones if you want) with the patterns that YOU desire. At the end of the day, it is you who takes care of him and looks at him. Unless your sole purpose is to raise them for monetary gain. In that case, I would select a variety of Indos because everyone's taste in fish is different; this will yield the best result to matching a particular Indo to a potential buyer @ a maximum price.
definitely not raising em just for monetary gain, but there's always the chance that ur going to have to end up selling the fish for some reason...if that didn't happen then the mfk marketplace wouldn't exist

and i would always like to know exactly what it is im spending my money on

anyways thanks for the help

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store