Green water/ what % to change?

BrAveHrT

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
PA
Hi guys currently got my 2 rays in a 144 half circle tank. I had the light on for a while and the water is starting to turn murky green. Its not the first time its happened- I used to have flowerhorn in this tank and would do 75% water change and water would be clear again.

My Question is, will the rays be OK if I do a 75% change? I only did that with my flowerhorn b/c they are pretty hardy with w/cs. I just got the rays in 3 days ago also, so don't want to stress them out too much. any advice appreciated!

skylineiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
Australia
as mentioned, do 50% daily, it shouldnt be harmful to your rays as long as you arnt adjusting your ph or anything, and make sure to prime!!!

if you dont wanna spook em, try do it a bit slower. when your filling it up. (instead of the hose on full blast, which you can do when they are more settled)

good luck

flamenco-t

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2006
South of Heaven
What's your water change routine now ? You may be doing enough water changes to begin with. Algae growth are promoted by excessive level of nitrates and phosphate. Phosphate exist as preservatives (food mostly) and nitrates is the end result of nitrogen cycle.

Immediate solution is to do WC now and often. Starts with your routine and do that every 2 days. You cna increase the amount of water everytime until it clears.

Stan

geph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
In my AE86
Do water changes till it clears up, but also how long are you having your light on? because leaving the light on to long will create algae and make your water green again. One thing I recommend getting in a UV light to keep your water crystal clear.

fcamargo6thave

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2008
Jersey City NJ
nice tank and fish ,you are alittle overcrowded but as long as you take care of the tank you are fine and the water doesnt look that bad i have seen worse green water tanks lol well do the water changes and monitor the feedings of the fish and you should be fine good luck

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
flamenco-t;3972512; said:
What's your water change routine now ? You may be doing enough water changes to begin with. Algae growth are promoted by excessive level of nitrates and phosphate. Phosphate exist as preservatives (food mostly) and nitrates is the end result of nitrogen cycle.

Immediate solution is to do WC now and often. Starts with your routine and do that every 2 days. You cna increase the amount of water everytime until it clears.

Stan

This.

Plus I'll toss in that the excess organics/nutrient will continue to feed the algae in your water column until you eliminate them. I'd look at your photoperiod. How long is the tank in direct day light or have the lights on? Lots of light plus fertilizer (phosphate, nitrate and other nutrient) means great set up to grow plants (algae).

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store