70 Gallon Hex??

Lockness' Oscar

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Ohio
I now am the proud owner of a 70 gallon drilled acrylic hex aquarium with a wet/dry filter...how does this work??? I would also like someone to tell me what monsters would be good in it as far as hex goes??? Did I get a good deal??? I got the wet/dry filter, canopy, lighting, 10-15 pounds of salt, a hydrometer, seaweed salad Green marine algae, protein skimmer, air pump, siphon, thermometer, and a saltwater master liquid test kit all for 300$Is there anything else I need?? Also, I am keeping freshwater, so how am I gonna get rid of the salt and mineral build-up?? I was gonna put sand in it...how am I gonna siphon without getting sand out of my aquarium????

Sorry for the long, stupid question post.

Please answer all of the stupid questions in it.

Thanks.

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
The Deal sounds fair. I would try to sell the protien skimmer on here or at a LFS. As far as the salt water build-up on the tank glass, I've always used ammonia straight on the stains and let it set for about 15 minutes. Then scrub and wash, it should take it off. I hope this helps and congrats. on the tank find!

Any other members want to help, please.

Lil_Stinker

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 30, 2006
State of Emergency
a CC or plastic scraper & water.

Nice setup for the $$ sell the salt xtras.

I guess Ammonia sounds reasonable for glass, but I am not sure how it will react on acrylic... Hey Darth, are you sure about using it straight in acrylic?

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
I used it on an old 30 gallon acrylic tank, I made sure though that I cleaned it out very good and only used a scrub brush for acrylic only. No stains and no smell. I thought it worked pretty good, my mom wanted me to use "Bleach"! I'm glad I didn't follow her advice.:screwy:

DarthLungFish

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 27, 2005
EARTH
I never tried Vinegar, so I don't know. Now as far as stocking: for a 70g you can do alot!

I don't know much about a wet/dry system. I have the Eheim 2227 Wet/Dry and they work great!

--Any MFK members want to help on this area??

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
As for how to siphon without drawing sand out use a long tube gravel vac toclan the bottom,takes a little practice but its easy once you get used to it.

Lockness' Oscar

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2006
Ohio
Also, no one told me how to work the wet/dry...help...DarthLungFish: What can I do with a 70 gallon HEX???

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store