how to tell when females are mature?

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
i have a male in but it is not mature yet...one larger female i have is way more active and eats alot more then the other rays...they are retics so i was thinking that being smaller rays they may mature smaller, but i would like to know so then i can see if it pushes my male to mature...male 5.5", female 4.75"...they spend way to much time touching eachother...like 85% of the time...i have 3 other females in the tank all smaller from 3-4" and the 4" female has been in there alot longer then the largest female...my male started this behavior after her introduction...

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
retics won't mature till around 9-10", your female is still WAY to small

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Gshock;3974962; said:
Theres no visual signs, thats one of the problems with breeding attempts with unfamiliar rays. You can only assume that they are mature becuase they are big in size.
damn i was hoping there was something that was visible...

turkeyboy85;3974974; said:
retics won't mature till around 9-10", your female is still WAY to small
i know they are to small and young, but i was also thinking that since they are a smaller ray sp. there is a possibility that they would or could mature at a smaller size then say motoros witch get much larger...not that i am saying my rays are mature now, just thinking they could mature sooner then the 10" mark...not that it is a big deal as i will not be getting rid of my rays at any time...just thoughts...

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
sbuse;3974987; said:
i know they are to small and young, but i was also thinking that since they are a smaller ray sp. there is a possibility that they would or could mature at a smaller size then say motoros witch get much larger...not that i am saying my rays are mature now, just thinking they could mature sooner then the 10" mark...not that it is a big deal as i will not be getting rid of my rays at any time...just thoughts...
Its actually quite probable i think. Not too long ago, someone here had a female retic shipped to them and when he received the ray, the female had given birth to a pup. The female ordered was 7" disc diameter. You'd have to dig around, but it wasnt too far back.

sbuse

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2009
IN YOUR HEAD
Gshock;3975059; said:
Its actually quite probable i think. Not too long ago, someone here had a female retic shipped to them and when he received the ray, the female had given birth to a pup. The female ordered was 7" disc diameter. You'd have to dig around, but it wasnt too far back.
makes sence...i still think just shy of 5" is still small, though my male is deffinatly acting different with her being in there...though he is not mature...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store