Ammonia Levels in "harmful" reading

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
So, I've been setting up a tank for some stingrays I am planning on getting.
Started step by step from the guides I've read.

Filter stages: foam -> carbon -> ammonia remover -> nitrate remover -> bio media.

temp is at 77F.

Nitrite and nitrate at 0, hardness and carbonate are fine, only reading not fine is ammonia.

I added nutrafin cycle to my tank in the 25 ml p/10g on day 1.
Day 2, I added 25 ml p/10g even though it said only 10ml/10g, as my ammonia levels were still in the danger reading.
Day 3, added 10 ml/10g into the tank. readings dropped 1 level from danger to harmful. Added another ammonia remover pack to my canister filter with the 2 already in it, for added ammonia removal.
Added nutrafin aqua plus as well.
today, the readings are still at harmful, and not budging.

the only thing i can think of, that i did not follow, was rinsing out all of the sand. it was sold as pre-rinsed and dried. I'm going to try cleaning it with my python and hope that it lowers the ammonia.

all other readings are fine.

if anyone has any other ideas of what it could be, please throw it out there for me, this is getting really frustrating.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
It sounds like you haven't cycled long enough for the bacteria to keep up with the ammonia. Also not sure the ammonia remover is a good thing when cycling the tank.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
hmm, ok. that could be an issue. my lfs told me to use the ammonia remover.

are you talking about the filter version, or the liquid nutrafin cycle that removes ammonia?

now, i've looked into it, but just to hear from you guys, how long is a good time to cycle?

the tank has been going for about 2 weeks now

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Dear me.

At a wild guess, that 'Cycle' is causing the ammonia readings. It's not going to cycle your tank for you and adding rays to that tank will either be a death sentence or you're going to be doing lots of water changes for two or three weeks.

You're best off reading up on fishless cycling of a tank and waiting the three weeks it'll take to get a filter populated with enough bacteria to be able to handle the bioload of stingrays.

What fish have you kept before? Do you understand the nitrogen cycle?

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
k, so the nutrafin cycle at this point was a bad idea?

so, i guess i should empty the tank and start it fresh without the nutrafin cycle and ammonia remover in my canister filter for the 3 weeks to cycle my tank?

i haven't kept many exotics to be honest, i've been reading up and researching this stuff, "harassing" my lfs with endless questions, and he told me when/how much/what to add at what times.

i know that putting the rays in would be a death sentence, that is why i have nothing in the tank. it'd be a waste of money and cruel.

MN Stingray

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 30, 2008
Minnesota
Take out the amonia removing packs,they can only absorb so much amonia and then they leach it right back into the tank.Just throw is more sponge or filter floss.
The cycle will be fine to add to your tank ,only bacteria.But your tank hasnt even started to cycle yet.
As far as aqua plus if it says its a detoxifier that stop using it.detoxifiers strait into your tank will kill off bacteria.
Only use those in seperate containers when replacing water and let them sit overnite,if you are using tap water.
Other than that let the tank be for a good week ,beofre checking anything again.
Probably going to be at least 2-3 weeks for it to cycle thru.Can allways throw in guppys or something cheap to cycle it fatser too.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Haven't heard anything good about Nutrafin Cycle, but there are other cycle products out there that will cycle your tank. Seachem Stability is one that comes to mind.

It should only be a 3-5 day process.

I think that having ammonia and nitrate removers are disrupting the cycling, and are pointless to have in there anyways (if your tank cycles properly, the beneficial bacteria will take care of ammonia and nitrite, and water changes will take care of nitrates).

Either find a different product, or read up on fishless cycling using ammonia or a piece of shrimp.

Chaz88

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2010
Iowa
I don't think adding the bacteria starter is a problem. I would take out the ammonia and nitrate removers leave the water you have and let it cycle naturally. When I cycle a new tank I use mechanical filter, carbon filter and bio filter and usually add a bacteria cycle starter or media from an established tank. Then use the fish, food, or ammonia method of your choice to feed the bacteria

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
thanks for the advice.

i will try taking out the ammonia and nitrate removers, and add in something to the mix, either the cheap guppies or piece of shrimp (as in from a frozen shrimp ring?).

i have read up on the cycling process as well, though i didn't notice it indicating not using the ammonia/nitrate removers in the filter until later.

thanks again

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store