picky eater

slimmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
ontario
I got 2 motoro's at christmas after i lost my yepesi's. They are doing good except the male will only eat frozen blood worms, live ghost shrimps or live blood worms. The female is eating everything plus frozen smelt and just started on pellets which i am very pleased with. The last 2 days i have only put smelts and pellets in but the male won't have anything to do with them so he has not ate anything. How long should i starve him for. He is not skinny but the female is growing much faster yet she was the skinny one in the beginning. I feel sorry for him but really want to get him on some better food. Maybe i should start feeding him again on bloodworms and try to starve him again in a couple more weeks. Soon i will be able to start to collect worms from the garden.

instantthc

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2008
Pa
i would let him go until you get some answers from the forum. they'll let you know. just post any updates on him. GL

skylineiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
Australia
make sure his Fat and well fed then starve him for about a 2 days. then try putting some pellets in that are have been soaked in his favourate food, eg bloodworms. (for the smell)

dont expect him to eat heaps straight away, once he starts having a nibble. you know its just a matter of time then. Its all about getting them to have a few nibbles at first.

good luck.

also when starving them, you gotta be harsh, lol but i know what you mean about feeling sorry for them and wanting to give them food :(

slimmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
ontario
OK 4 days now and still no eats. I'm thinking he wins this round and i will give him some bloodworms tonight when i get home from work. He still looks very good with no signs of starving except very anxious when he see's me untill i put pellets or smelts in then he sulks in the corner while the female eats everything up.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
it always helps me when i dump in a mixture of diff foods.

b4 u know it he will be slurping up the other foods as hes hunting for his bloodworms

tonysnow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
canada
Im having the same problem, Iv been soaking different pellets in live blackworms
hoping my motoro will pick up on them, but no interest,I guess you just have to keep on trying

slimmer

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2009
ontario
I went back to feeding frozen bloodworms mixed with pellets and freash smelt. No luck with the male yet,he just picks through the food to get his bloodworms.Female on the other hand still eats everything.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store