Motoro Pair Future Spawning - Worried.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Good Evening MFKers,

I'm sort of worried about the future of my pair after they become mature. Right now the female is about 8" and the male is about 6"

What I am worried about is when they become sexually mature and start producing pups. I know the female needs to be given some time and consecutive litters may be too much for one female to handle. I only have a couple of other tanks but none that are big enough to accommodate a ray. Will all males become aggressive and prolific breeders after maturity?

Out of curiosity, what size do Motoros usually become sexually mature? I know the males claspers unroll.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
size is about 10-12" on females males are slightly smaller. Get some egg crate, and suction cups and make a divider in the tank ;) problem solved

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I have seen un rolled claspers on male motoros that are any where from 8 inches up to 15 inches. I personally feel it is more age related then size. Most rays need to be atleast 3 years of age before they are mature.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
Does anyone know if sexual maturity in stingrays is influenced by weight and % body fat like it is in mammals? Just wondering.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
I have two observations and one suggestion for you Critter:

Obs 1)
Diet plays a very decisive role in maturity, especially relating to sexual, healthy maturity. Focus on diet (long term).

Obs 2)
Once inseminated the females seem to "off-the-radar" to males. At least in my experience with Standard Motoros.

Sugg 1)
Buy a Rubbermaid type stock tank, build a DIY Wet-Dry and house the male in this after he has performed his duties. Go big, go simple. It can be as simple as a 150 oval with a 33 gallon garbage can as the Wet-Dry.

Respectfully,
FireMedic.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Wow, does it really take rays about three (3) years to mature? If that is the case, I should be fine - as my rays are only about 7-8 months old.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store