how too setup R O unit on ray tank help

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
I have never before used a r o unit.I want to instal one on my 300 gallon system.I have looked on ebay their are some ro units for very cheap.I live in alberta the water is "SUPER" hard all year.

how do i properly instal a drip style sytem.Does anybody have diagrams or pictures & instructions they could share in helping me out. thanks

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
will this even be very effective in making my very hard water soft

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
well my issue is ray related.I am getting some wild bds next saturday from a certian friend ny.Are water is so hard here! will the wild rays adjust ok?
I have been keeping rays for years in our hard water and i never did anything before.But all my rays are captive breeds but adjusted fine.The only thing different now is that the $$$$ and they are wild caught.

am i worring about nothing or what.do you guys think the rays will adjust ok.I will not use chemicals

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Ah. Kinda two different separate then.

I'm certainly no expert. But I'd hazard a guess that a few generations of captive breeding haven't altered our ray's genes to any significant degree so given you have rays already living in that water it seems highly likely WC rays will also be fine.

Hard water would cause me to be extremely cautious when receiving the rays, however - squirt-and-dump, for example, would concern me even more than usual.

RO will certainly soften water - that's what it does - but as I'm sure you know, by default RO has almost zero buffering capacity and you can't keep fish in pure RO. You need to either ease off on the flow control so that you're producing impure RO (I don't remember if that will work) or reconstitute the RO with a percentage of regular water. Working out exactly how to do that in combination with using the water you produce for an automatic drip system is where I'd be asking questions in the DIY section.

If you really want to soften your water you can certainly get the RO unit, mix it in a barrel/bin/buckets for now and move on to a drip system at your leisure.

sunvalley aquarist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2009
USA
I'm sure you're planning on slowly dripping water from your tank into the container holding the new rays until they are acclimated.
Where I live the water is sort of hard too and alkaline. My wild caught Rectic is doing fine.
I've removed the R/O cartridge from my 6 stage filter and plumbed it into the discharge side of my sump. On the intake side of my sump I've drilled a hole in the side near the top to act as an overflow, and plumbed that into the household drain plumbing complete with trap.
Now when I want to do a water change, all I have to do is open a valve in the laundry room where the filter is, and let it run for a couple of hours

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store