need help with feeding earthworms

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
Okay, I know you all will get a laugh out of this, but I have these canadian night crawlers to feed my stingray. He is only about six inches, so obviously he cannot eat them whole. But, I cannot bring myself to cut them up. I just can't do it; I cannot cut into a living being's flesh, that's what made me choose occupational therapy over nursing as a career path. Is there some way that is semi-humane to kill them before I chop them up? What about freezing them? Or I remember seeing movies where people in lab class would put a frog in a jar with an alchohol soaked cotton ball to kill it.
Any suggestions?

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
"they are worms cutt them with sissors right before you drop them in the tank."
and a 6" ray will eat a full nightcrawler no problem.thats what i have raised every ray i have ever owned on.earth worms are the best.you will be surprised with the little ray unless the worms are massive.

and if you cannot handle cutting worms you should probably get a new pet because stingrays are savages

Nemesis

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2009
nyc
^ agreed. You could also get red wrigglers instead.

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
I don't have a problem watching it, I just don't want to do it myself. i had some red wrigglers, but there were none where we went tonight so had to get the canadian nightcrawlers...
I already fed him for the night, but I will try to feed him a whole night crawler tomorrow morning. Thanks.

Kolossus

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2007
Where the heart is!!!
LOL! I've been there...LOL! If you put the worms in a plastic container with water, and then cut them up in the container, it takes the edge off the brutality and eventually, you get used to it and it won't be much of a problem. Some small rays can take down whole crawlers and some cannot. Good luck.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
I use to have this problem. Do it a couple of times and you'll get use to it.

Bottom line:
Love the worms or love your ray(s)? I do it for my rays.

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
I've no problems with chopping up worms (or possibly anything, years of farm family background and food (meat) preparation have desensitized me), but I can somewhat see why it would make you squeamish, but my only question is have you never used worms for fishing growing up? Hooking a worm properly seems much worse than just chopping them up. This is by no means a jab, or flame, just curious. I would recommend calgaryflames method of using scissors to be the best method for quick, and least contact.

wheresalbany

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Keene, NH
I would suggest using the sharpest knife possilbe for cutting them, it just makes it a lot easier. One cut with a sharp knife is better than hacking away with a dull knife. I use a disposable scapel and it works great. Just my $.02

sixpack_ey

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Louisiana
Okay, I like the method of cutting them up inside a container of water. I tried to feed him a whole one this morning, but he wouldn't take it. And no, I never used a live worm to fish. I used shrmip pieces for catfish bait and use lures for sandbass, thats about it.
Thank you all for your input, I guess you are right, I will just get used to it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store