White colored patches on my rays back

tonysnow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
canada
My M Motoro has some discolorataion on his back. He is in a 120gallon with 2 inch thick bed of black sand. Hes is 9 inch. In his tank with juvi datnoids,8inch tsn,and some others.25% water changes ever 4 days or so, water readings are ok, a little ammonia at .25.

Im gonna syphon the sand alot and do some water changes.

Anyother Suggestions?

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Your water params are obviously NOT okay as you have signs of ammonia. Your bioload is too big for the amount of water changes you do. Start doing bigger changes more frequently. And get rid of some sand, 2" worth of sand is way too much.

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
before you panic what is your ph?
if it below 6 then 0.25 if you are using most common test kits as it measures ammonium(basically harmless) as well as ammonia.

but having said that no harm in upping the water changes to 30% a day for a week and see if it comes down.

how long has tank been running and what filtration are you running?

coeus

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2009
maryland
do you have a heater in the tank?

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Pics!

Heater burn perhaps?

tonysnow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
canada
Ill try getting some better pics tomarrow daytime, The tank has been setup for 3nhalf months/ running fx5 and Aq110, stealth heaters up high in the back of tanks setup verticaly.ph is at 6

tonysnow

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 7, 2009
canada
Ph is at 7 out of the tap, after cleaning the sand and some big water changes. I have been examaning him and suprisingly I cant see what i saw a few days ago? Eating really good and swimming normally.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store