Built a new wet/dry for my rays. Need some input.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Hello fellow MFK ray keepers,

I know this looks like it would be better suited for the Filtration section of the forum, but I want a ray keepers input. Especially since this 240G tank is dedicated to the rays.

I currently have a standard 30G wet/dry filter (roughly 30" x 13" x 13") that allows for two cubic foot of bio media. I never thought that this 30G would suffice for the bio load of my tank (even with the FX5 on the tank) - especially in the long run. Right now the rays are 7-8" in diameter - that is ALMOST 3/4" growth per month. Eight Geophagus, Two NTT's, and a single Black Aro. All are putting on size and weight.

I was inspired by Joey020283's acrylic build and decided to give it a wack. The dimensions I chose for my new wet/dry is 48" x 20" x 20" which is the most massive one I could fit under my stand and still have room to work around everything. This landed my new filter at around 80G with a bio capacity of almost five (5) cubic foot - more than double the original one.

The filter has already been water tested for three days with no leaks and I am about to put it into commission.

What I need to ask you guys for help is deciding if and where I can add another baffle. I currently have one installed and is designed to be removable (for ease of cleaning under the chambers and adding heaters, and etc.) right after the bio chambers for the sponge. This helps decrease micro-bubbles and any other detritus that could have escaped the mech. filtration. I was wondering if I should add another baffle so that I can add plants and submerged media. This would come right 4-5" before it hits the external water pump. I was also thinking of leaving it be and just adding the submerged media contained in the mesh bags.

What are your takes? Anything I can do to make it even better before I start her up?

Thanks guys!

IMG_1888 (Large).JPG

IMG_1870 (Large).JPG

IMG_1871 (Large).JPG

IMG_1872 (Large).JPG

IMG_1886 (Large).JPG

IMG_1887 (Large).JPG

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
Very nice mate but i would put some mech in before the bio otherwise the bio will just get covered in detritus wont it?

Steve

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Yeah, there is a tray that is 3" deep. I think you can see it in the last picture. That is where I am going to put my 100 micron pad and bonded filter to capture all that detritus.

Currently the sump is completely empty and still has protective wrap on the bottom and side panels.

Thanks for the kind words!

Jeff

spwd;3985296; said:
Very nice mate but i would put some mech in before the bio otherwise the bio will just get covered in detritus wont it?

Steve

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
Looks fantastic!

I wouldnt add another baffle... even with the one you have, you wont have many bubbles.. especially if you place a sponge in between the baffle and towers... AC110 sponges work very well.

The only down side to the towers being welded in place is when you need to rince the bio-balls(which will really only need to be rarely) It will be difficult to remove all of the balls by hand... One otion is to hook up a hose to your pump and blast the bio balls with tank water, then siphon out the debris.... works well. you wont have to remove them then... but that is something that rarely needs to be done... Adding another baffle will also limit the amount of available space to add extra equipment down the road.. i'd leave everything as is... The only thing i would add, is a lid for the sump section... acrylic is a great insualtor i have found, and without a lid, you'll loose alot of heat.. I run my entire system on only 600 watts of heating as everything is acrylic... the heaters are rarely ever on i find, and keeps my tank at a steady 28C.

Other than that, looks very professional. You did a very good job... was this your first time with acrylic?..

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
joey020283;3985480; said:
Looks fantastic!

I wouldnt add another baffle... even with the one you have, you wont have many bubbles.. especially if you place a sponge in between the baffle and towers... AC110 sponges work very well.

The only down side to the towers being welded in place is when you need to rince the bio-balls(which will really only need to be rarely) It will be difficult to remove all of the balls by hand... One otion is to hook up a hose to your pump and blast the bio balls with tank water, then siphon out the debris.... works well. you wont have to remove them then... but that is something that rarely needs to be done... Adding another baffle will also limit the amount of available space to add extra equipment down the road.. i'd leave everything as is... The only thing i would add, is a lid for the sump section... acrylic is a great insualtor i have found, and without a lid, you'll loose alot of heat.. I run my entire system on only 600 watts of heating as everything is acrylic... the heaters are rarely ever on i find, and keeps my tank at a steady 28C.

Other than that, looks very professional. You did a very good job... was this your first time with acrylic?..
Thank you Joey for all the input. All the ideas you gave are very good - I think I am going to follow all the advise you offered. I will just leave it as is and add a lid. To answer your question, this was my very first time working with acrylic. It was pretty worried at first, which is why I started with the drip tray first. As I got more practice I worked on the actual sump.

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
:jaw-droppYou made that from scratch? Great job bro:D

I like it, you may have to give me a few tips:naughty:

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
West1;3985514; said:
:jaw-droppYou made that from scratch? Great job bro:D

I like it, you may have to give me a few tips:naughty:
Thanks bro. Let me know if you do, I can offer a hand and some tips!

joey020283;3985532; said:
That does not look like a first time job for sure.... very well done... keep it going! move on to a nice big acrylic tank now!
My thoughts exactly! Haha. Took my inspiration from your build. I can't wait till I get a bigger place to build it.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
I keep a small wet dry vac on hand just for fish stuff. I helps to suck things like bioballs out of tight areas like that and places that you can't siphon easily. When they pass though with the water they usally clean themselves most of the way, then a quick rinse with tank water and let the detritus settle out and put them back. Quick and easy.

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england
I didnt realise you had made it from scratch,thats a fantastic job mate!

Steve

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store