dead female in a week n 2days

stingray_tj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
seattle
ok.. so maybe you saw me post last week.. i bought a femal motoro an she had a dent in between her eyes i did a big waster change 3 days after having her an then added prazi pro as recomended in a similar posting.. saw a lil wierd movement with her disk going upward lookin like a siezer almost.. excuse my spelling.. but then it went down i went to bed an wake up to a dead stingray. my male was like showing her off to me by swimming over her fluttering his disk very fast an vigorisly she jus floated an i noticed she wasnt breathing... really wondering wat happend here....my water has been tested constantly an comes back great..wtf..sad, angry ,an some more.. was only 9 days she ate several times. not a ton but she did eat..

stingray_tj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
seattle
jus venting i guess but still confused.... wondering if my males next...???? i want another female but how long should i wait now.. would it stress him out to add another female? wondering your thoughts on a good time frame to let it be..

stingray_tj

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2010
seattle
also should i continue the prazi pro as planned for the rest of the month or stop before it kills the male to?? im jus confused now....

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
Sorry for your loss.

Just a quick observation that if she had a dent in between her eyes that would signal that she has been malnourished before you got her. The shock of moving combined with being so underfed is most likely the cause.

If your male is feeding and behaving normally I wouldn't see the reason to continue treatment. BUT, I haven't needed to use prazi, so I would wait for a more experienced ray keeper to chime in on that. I don't know if it's the kind of med that needs to be stepped down instead of just quit all together without detrimental effects.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
You can stop prazi for now if you want and wait till your male is in a more stable and healthy shape. Either way, I recommend you do the prazi treatment sometime as your motoros are WC so theres a huge chance of parasites. I personally prazi every new WC ray just to make sure.

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
More than likely the ray was sent to you malnourished. If they are to far along there really is not much you could do. Here is a quote from Freshwater Stingrays An in-depth survey of these magnificent fishes by Hans Gonella and Dr Herbert Axelrod, "A monotonous diet and subsequent deficiency symptoms, for example, can lead to consistent food refusal. he same can happen after a prolonged enforced period of hunger. By the time that this problem has been recognized, the damage has already been done and an help often comes too late for the ray" (Gonella 74). To summarize, it is very possible though the ray started eating, it was still too late. Before I became a vendor I was told the rays I bought were eating and in great health. They were so skinny when I received them that one died a few days later. Luckily the other made it through. This is what lead me to want to become a vendor. If your water is good, there is no other reason but to lean towards that you did all you could do and that there really was nothing else that could be done. If you plan on purchasing another ray or two make sure to purchase from someone that has a good rep.

As far as the prazi pro what do you mean as planned for the rest of the month? Only two treatments are need usually only one. Overall treatment is usually only a week. If you did a full 3 days that should be enough. Check the crap, if it is white at all continue treatment.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store