Water PH

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
So a few weeks back I tested my tap water from the hose to be at approximately 7.5.

I read that Datnoids prefer 6.5 to 7.5. So I did some reading and from what I could gather adding driftwood would lower the PH a little. So I added 3 pieces of drift wood and now my tank water is yellow from the tannin.

I test again giving the driftwood time to do their magic and now I have a PH reading of 8.0. How the hell does that happen?

I really don't want to buy chemicals to adjust the PH lower, my datnoids look fine and eat like pigs.

So think its okay to leave the PH at 8 or should I go out and throw money at the problem?

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Just curious, are you changing the PH, based on your research or because your tigers are acting wierd? (if it aint broke, dont fix it).

My PH is 7.5 and Tigers seem unaffected. I would'nt start adding stuff to manage PH. If u get it wrong, things can go bad and fish react badly. Especially if you have baby datnoids.

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
Yeah I gotta stop freaking out over the littlest things.

My water is crystal clear, as clear as brown water can be. The IT's are eating everything before it even hits the floor and the Severums seem to mind their own business.

I think I'll leave well enough alone.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Fractal;3987695; said:
Yeah I gotta stop freaking out over the littlest things.

My water is crystal clear, as clear as brown water can be. The IT's are eating everything before it even hits the floor and the Severums seem to mind their own business.

I think I'll leave well enough alone.
good man, sound like your new arrivals are doing really well. keep it that way. ;)

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
I kept my ST and AT in a brackish set up with pH about 7.8. It was kept buffered with a Mg/CaCO3 substrate. They both thrived. What type of gravel, if any, do you have? I don't think the driftwood would raise the pH unless it was treated with something. As long as they are healthy and eating don't worry about it, but continue to monitor.

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
Bare bottom tank with 3 large pieces of driftwood. I did yank out this cement looking cave that I had in the water and did a water change. I think I forgot to mention that I had that in there to begin with, even before the driftwood.

I tested the water immediately after, but it was somewhere in between 7.5 and 8.0. I probably will do a water check after every water change to see that it's not changing too drastically. I think the cave was the culprit of the change though, because water straight out of the tap is 7.5.

janzal3

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2009
Maryland
Sounds like the cave. If you want to confirm this, just put the cave in a bucket of your tap water and check the pH a few days later.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store