Sick Datnoid from New Zealand. Please leave your comments would be appreciated!

EN1AL8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
NZ
Hi every one, my 7inch dat had recently recoverd from a sickness weres it had red nostrol and redness inside its mouth and stomach was puffy and while it hadn't eaten for almost two weeks.

But after ive recently treated my 6 ft tank (500 ltr) tank for a week with Melfix and it got much better but now its swimming around and looking quite stable and it wants to eat but when it eats it struggles to swallow or keeping it down and keep on spitting the food out most times, but when it does get the shrimp down, bits of it comes out of its gills.

It also had once keep on hitting the glass and the ground to try to keep the food in its mouth like it was alive (frozen raw shrimp!)

If anyone can please give any suggestions of what could be the causing it not able to swallow, it would be really appreciated by all your comments and suggestions! Thanks heaps :help2::help2::help2::help2::help2:

my camera 080.jpg

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
The tiger looks in good health. The belly looks full. When was the photo taken?
The food it spits out, is it the same as what u normally feed it? Also try a variety of foods, it may just be acting fussy.

So , 2 weeks sick, plus 1 week treat with melafix, total 3 weeks with no food, which is fine and the picture shows no sunken belly.

If the redness is gone, no heavy breathing, no flicking, then theres not much u can do. If its an internal problem where it cant swallow, there's also not much you can do. If after say 6 weeks and still no eating, then dare I say it (i never recommend this), chuck in a feeder.

I would just keep up on wc, say 2 x 25-30% per week. U can add salt if you want to compliment the melfax.

PufferFreak88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2009
San Marcos, CA
Okay I know exactly what your are talking about, My baby indo has the same problem, where all of a sudden he started to stay stable and colored up really nice and ther belly is full and he doesn't eat as you look closely around his gills its reddish and you will see some veins glowing like internal bleeding. Sadly, I have experienced the same thing with a few of my baby datnoid, what i did is do a water change and add salt and it takes a few days - weeks before you can see them getting its health back. One of the guy told me that is called an amonia burn.

EN1AL8

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2008
NZ
Thanks for all the info! My dat looks stable but its sick, and there seems like if there were something in its throat or parasite?? but either way ive feed it some food with garlic juice today and it still spit the food out after it went berserk swing its head trying to keep the food down. I will keep everyone posted if it gets better.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
EN1AL8;3990295; said:
Thanks for all the info! My dat looks stable but its sick, and there seems like if there were something in its throat or parasite?? but either way ive feed it some food with garlic juice today and it still spit the food out after it went berserk swing its head trying to keep the food down. I will keep everyone posted if it gets better.
spitting out food is normal if dats dont like the food, but its the beserk action u describe that sounds bad. :confused:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store