My thoughs and experience with my first little dat

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
So I have had him for about a week now and love him but already can tell that he is going to drive me crazy with this stable/unstable thing. It's ridiculous. I see him from afar and he is unstable so I walk up to the tank and look at him and he gets stable. Turn around to the freezer to get his blood worms and BAM! unstable! :nilly: Like every 15seconds he changes. Is this my fault? Or is this just how baby dats are? Will they grow out of this?

But on a good note, he started eating blood worms on the first day. I haven't tried anything else to feed him other than a massivore pellet (I thought I might get lucky) but nope, not into it. I hope he grows fast and can soon be in with the monsters!

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Hope your patient, it'll take about 5 years before he is a 12- 13inch plus Monster.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
Ade;3988176; said:
Hope your patient, it'll take about 5 years before he is a 12- 13inch plus Monster.

It's funny you say that. I mean a ton of people here say that and then I see others saying they grew an inch or two in like 4 months. Do different dats have different growth rates? Are indos slow growers compared to the others?

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Ade;3988176; said:
I second that. Dats are extremely slow growers - especially when they reach around the 6" mark.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
Start giving him a variety of frzns...like brine, emerald entree, market shrimp etc.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
CrAzYNeSs;3988239; said:
I second that. Dats are extremely slow growers - especially when they reach around the 6" mark.
Good to know. He might be able to go into the big tank at that size. How long does it take to reach 6" with a good diet/a lot of feeding?

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
gangster;3988240; said:
Start giving him a variety of frzns...like brine, emerald entree, market shrimp etc.
Will do. He is just sooo tiny blood worms is like the only thing that fits in his mouth lol. Maybe mystis shrimp though.

bahamaqt00

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 7, 2009
kirkland wa
MsMassPoly;3988260; said:
in 4-5 years with good feeding and water changes he should be about 6 inches.
eh I doubt that. less than an inch per year? there have been a couple at my favorite LFS (but way overpriced hence why they are still there) for about 6 months and they have definitely grown atleast an inch. He has been feeding them 3x daily.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store