Do I always have to have a divider in?

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
I prefer my tank when I don't have a huge divider in it. But it seems like I always have to keep it in. I have 3 motoros in a 500 gallon tank. 2 females and 1 male. After they were both pregnant, the male continued you beat on them. I separated the male when he pursued to bite them. It has been 50 or so days and both females are putting on some size. I took out the divider today and the male motoro still bites the female. I really don't want to have a divider in my tank %90 of the time. What can I do??

Thanks MFK

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Unless u have a second tank, u dont have much choice. Its either that or risk loosing the pups, if the females get beaten up too bad.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Never really had a male continue to aggresively pursue my pregnant females until close to the end of the pregnancy, I think your stuck doing what your doing or risk some bad things.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
He seems to go after the larger one the most. Maybe another female would help? A less aggressive male?

abortedsoul

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 4, 2008
MD, USA
From my experience a 'time out' usually calms the male down. I'm surprised that similar-sized rays would still fuss after 50 days of separation. You can try it again after some time has passed as long as you keep an eye on the little hornball.

carolines100

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2008
leeds
I add the same problem in the end my female give birth too early and 3 pups died . The second time he matted and kept bitting he was out and in his own tank . Some males never stopped and some leave the female alone my guess u have the first one like i did. As for the time out it didnt work or me soon as he went back he was all over her again . Good luck in what u do

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store