My ray needs help please.

Waterboy655

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2010
Sterling Hts,MI
Hi,
Well my 5" motoro feet have soars on them..:( I think the sand that Im using is to rough for him. I have a male and female in the tank. The female is doing fine but she is not as active as he "was". Thats why I beleive she hasnt been bothered.
The sand in my tank is aquarium sand for the LFS. I ve had these two in the tank since they were pups, now that they are growing and becoming more active I think is the reason.
He has not eaten in two days so i have kept a close eye on him and untill now have not noticed anything unusual. Water is at 82deg, 0 am,0 nitrite,15 nitrate, ph 7.4.
Im about to start removing all the sand just incase this is the reason. Does anyone suggest anything more? Have you seen or heard of this? Im thinking of adding some salt too.
heres a crappy pic from my phone. In the reflection of the glass you can see the sore. Poor guy, now I know why he hasnt been eating (I hope). I figured something was up when he would lay in the sand with his feet in the air. I thought mayube it was normal for rays. Dang it. Thanks for anysuggestion anyone may have. Rick

Stingray foot1.jpg

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
Get the sand out, keep up w/water changes and by all means add a little salt to speed the recovery.

So all the things you're gonna do anyway :)

As long as he gets back to eating he should recover quick enough.

sbrodacz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2009
Illinois
PeteLockwood;3994040; said:
Get the sand out, keep up w/water changes and by all means add a little salt to speed the recovery.

So all the things you're gonna do anyway :)

As long as he gets back to eating he should recover quick enough.
What pete said. Take the sand out asap, the longer you wait the worse it can get. Keep the water perfect and they should be fine.

Waterboy655

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2010
Sterling Hts,MI
Thanks for the fast replys. The sand is all out now. THAT WAS FUN! :screwy::nilly:Jeez, just when you think your doing everything right.:grinno: Heading up to Meijer and grabbing some salt. Oh, and now since the sand is gone I noticed my female has some small spots. Like its just starting to irritate her too. Keep your fingers crossed.

Waterboy655

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2010
Sterling Hts,MI
I dont want to over do it but, does anyone feel adding something like Melafix to the tank would be beneficial? I already dosed with salt. Poor guy is holding his feet of the ground.:(. I cannot believe I didn't notice this. I stare at them off and on ALL day!:irked:

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
It's just gonna take some time. Melafix might make you feel better ;) but what he probably needs now is just a little time.

The watched pot never boils..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store