river sand

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I was out on a river today and collected some sand from a large sandbar. It is soft and most grains are sugar-sized. There are lots of small pieces of what I think is muscovite mixed in the sand. These pieces are clear and shiney in the sunlight, flexible, and most are 1-2mm in size. Would this sand be ok for rays? I plan on rinsing it well, sterlize it with bleach, rinse well again, and then dry it before adding to the tank.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
sounds like you have a plan..... i just added a bunch of play sand to mine.... took FOREVER to clean

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Here is what the sand looks like in the sunlight. It is actually a bit darker, and you can see the flecks of muscovite.

P3201108 (Large).JPG

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
im not sure bleach is a great idea.

MadRussian79

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
Where my fish swim
To be safe after washing it I'd soak it in tap water (RO/DI if you have some) for a few days and then test that water. Look at organic leaching (Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate) and also KH and GH changes. Not sure how common lime stone is in Maine.

CrAzYNeSs

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2009
Here.
Conner;4012171; said:
Bleaching isn't a bad idea as long as you're careful to rinse it thoroughly afterwards.
Yeah and dump in Prime afterward. Bleach is usually made of chlorine, so Prime should de-chlorinate everything.

Zander_The_RBP

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2009
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
CrAzYNeSs;4012561; said:
Yeah and dump in Prime afterward. Bleach is usually made of chlorine, so Prime should de-chlorinate everything.
yep bleach is sodium hypochlorite prime bonds to the chlorine in this and turns it into a small amount of salt and the normal byproducts of dechlorination

i don't have any experience with rays but i did use sand from a lake for my 150 gallon tank and what i can say is rinse, rinse, rinse. I had no problems with mine and i just rinsed it with a garden hose really blasting the sand in a large tub and letting the water flow over the top. Then i let it sit in chlorinated tap water for a day then rinsed again (same process) then let it sit for another day (in tapwater) then rinsed a third and final time then i let it sun dry and began putting it in my tank

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
okay, good call with the prime, didnt think of that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store