What do you think about a barebottom tank with no rocks/driftwood for a IT dat tank?

asm129

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2009
Cafe Lu
I have 20 baby IT dats in a 100g tank. When I first got them, they were always active and looking for food. But now most of them are around 2" and they seem to hide all the time. They only come out behind the lava rocks and fake plants when I throw some pellets in.

Do you think it would be a good idea to take the lava rocks out? I want to make them more active and see them swim more, but I don't want to make them more unstable either and I don't want to take the good bacteria out on the rocks. Most of the time, they look a little pale and the stripes are about 50% as dark as they should be. Is a BB tank with no hiding spaces a good idea for my IT datnoid tank?

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
my old one got very stressed when he didnt have any places to hide (he was about 3"-4")

Deep Blue Sea

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2010
Alameda Ca
^ +1

chasingtime

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2006
ny
you can put stuff in for structure to reduce stress without adding gravel. i personally dont like gravel in my tanks. hard to clean and scratches glass and even worse acrylic...

spwd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
leicester,england

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
substrate yes decor no

if you give the tigers hiding places they will use them and you will never see them

i think it even makes them unstable as they try to blend into the hiding place

Fractal

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
California
Gravel blows. I call it the poo trapper!

I have driftwood and my IT's are less punchy towards each other since I've put those in. I don't know about you, but I'd want to have a few hiding places too if I was being chased by a bully.

DiscusManiac11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2009
PA
Fractal;3997848; said:
Gravel blows. I call it the poo trapper!

I have driftwood and my IT's are less punchy towards each other since I've put those in. I don't know about you, but I'd want to have a few hiding places too if I was being chased by a bully.

The only advantage of BB is the cleaning. I personally prefer having lots of decor/ driftwood in my dats tank. It makes them feel safe, therefore they are more stable.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Most ITs r like that asm. There very active when introduced to new tank, curious and always displaying in their new environment . After several weeks/months, they get used to the environment and often become less active. If your feeding lots, they'll also hide loads esp when full up.
Oh, and when there small they hide ALOT, then as they get bigger they hide gradually less. Once they get to 8 inch plus, they rarely hide.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store