elephant nose and african brown knife compatibility

tha_predator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2006
USA
im wanting to add a peters elephant nose to my 55 with my ropefish and african brown knife but ive heard alot of conflicting reports. anyone with experience want to give me their opinions? the tankmates all get along nicely and i dont want to stir up drama with them. the tank is planted with lots of large driftwoods with holes and caves made of rocks.

Jeox

" I got monkeys in me! "
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2006
The knife and elephant would probibly fight. :(

alfon76

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2005
They should be ok but it depends entirely on your Knife. I have the same fishes in a 180 gallon tank (actually a lot of elephant fish species) and they all get along very well. They even come out to eat every day when I add a full pack of bloodworms.
However, the african knives can be quite aggressive and territorial when they feel like it so you need to make sure the Elephant nose is not getting harrassed too much.

Ivan

Miles

Stingray King
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2005
Spokane, WA
In my experience, Elephant noses can be very aggressive and territorial. However, this was an isolated scenarion and the Elephant nose had no new introduced tankmates in 5+ years. The larger the tank, the more likely 'iffy' combinations will be succesful.

tha_predator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2006
USA
guess ill wait for the elephantnose, my abk is about 8 inches and pretty territorial, thanks for the advice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store