So here's what I'm wondering...

SQUiZGAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2010
Palatine, IL
Presently, I have a 30gal with two baby plecos, a couple tetras, and a dragon fish.

IF I wanted to get a ray, what's the smallest\easiest to maintain, and what gallon tank would it require? Also, if you own one yourself could you tell me why you think it's so cool or better than normal fish?

PLEASE FRESHWATER RAYS ONLY​

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
At bare minimum, depending on the size of the ray, you should start with a 4x2x2 or 6x18x22 (standard 120 or 125g tanks).

If you'd rather start larger so you have longer before you need to upgrade, go with a 220g (6x2x2.5). That would last a good long time with most species.

I would recommend starting with a captive bred motoro stingray. They are readily available (especially here on MFK) and are very hardy and easy to raise for beginner ray keepers.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
Yes, I agree with beginning with a Captive Bred Motoro.

As for a minimum tank set-up, go with a large footprint rather then a specific volume.

If you are really motivated you might consider an indoor pond with houseplants ringing it.

Respectfully,
FireMedic.

rED O

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
edmonto alberta
By Dragon fish, I really hope you don't mean a arowana. That aquarium is much to small for any type of stingray or arowana. You could keep a pup in your 30 gallon, but only for a couple of months. I would not keep the aro in there to much longer ether.I would just stick with the tetras..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store