Can D. microlepis have wide or different than 'normal' barring?

emartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2009
Jersey Shore
Can Datnioides microlepis (indonesian dats) have wider or just different than normal barring?

Can D. microlepis not have the usual 6-7 bars (including ones near the tail fin) because of geographical variation?

Or could the wider bar ones be from hybridization? Maybe from ST's being released in Indonesia?

I got three 1-1.25" juveniles from a extremely reputable dealer here in NJ.

They look very strange though compared to pics I've seen. One is actually very dark colored (the body) and kind of reminds me of D. campbelli which I suppose is possible since part of Indonesia is on the same island as new guinea.

This is what I am used to seeing pics of D. microlepis look like (what I consider normal ones):

You know, what they are supposed to look like according to these images:
http://www.myfishforum.com/attachme...n-siam-indo-tiger-tigertigerburningbright.jpg
http://www.fishyou.com/tiger-types.gif

The ones I got look more like this:

And this pic is of a ST or at least it is labeled that way, but one of my little "I.T." dats has this same darker, more "dirty" look:

So can D. microlepis not have the usual 6-7 bars (including ones near the tail fin) because of geographical variation?

Or could the wider bar ones be from hybridization? Maybe from ST's being released in Indonesia?

Mine look nice either way and the price was fair so I am not pissed off or anything I just want to make sure.

If you guys would like pics if you aren't familiar with what I am talking about (though I am sure this has been brought up before) I'll take some. That's one thing I love about Datnioides...they are so damn easy to photograph!

~Ed

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
The 3 bar or thw wider bar ones you refer too... it has been discussed before on mfk, that they might be a hybrid, which is what leads to the oddball pattern. Never been proven though, but a nice thought however.

There was some talk on this forum about the 3 bar being from different waters (still from Indo, but just some other region in river), cant find the post though.

But nothing imo beats a traditional 4 bar Indo, with belts which go all the way round :D

emartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2009
Jersey Shore
Actually now that they settled in more I can see that they have complete barring, not any partial or anything.

What is weird though is they still don't look like normal D. microlepis, like this pic:

They almost look like D. pulcher but it's obvious that they aren't (and can't possibly be either).

Is there a WIDE-BAR D. microlepis variant (without broken bars or anything)?

I'll get pics later.

One of them isn't looking too good the f*cking WC Botia histrionica won't leave one of them alone so I am going to do an extra major water change in that 29g and probably set up a new tank (likely a 20g-long) for all three of them to try to get them off frozen too. I don't have spare tanks to put the Botia somewhere else, otherwise I'd keep all 3 dats in there since the haplochromine fry aren't bothering them.

I was thinking of, since starving them at that young age isn't really an option, pulping up bloodworms and black mosquito larvae and soaking the pellets brand I feed (Dainichi) in it to try and trick them into eating them. Think it's worth a shot?

My stupid 4.5" D. polota won't eat pellets still (occasionally will MOUTH Ocean Nutrition Formula One flakes but not swallow).

I keep seeing Massivore mentioned over and over again in this section of the forum. Anyone know where to get it CHEAP? The only place near me that has it for sale has the 13oz size for $30 which is INSANE... Even Dainichi food which is expensive only goes for $20 for 1.1lb's (17.6oz). Normally I don't like Hikari because of all the cereals they use in their cheaper foods but the ingredients in massivore look very promising...especially since you guys got your Dats to eat it.

Thanks,
~Ed

emartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2009
Jersey Shore
The bars on mine three are either identical or almost identical to the ones in this video I found on youtube:
[YT]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZXHtxnkHbnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZXHtxnkHbnc&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/YT]

One of mine in particular except for the small partial stripe in the middle has identical barring as this one:
[yt]<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nds2x9jViks&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Nds2x9jViks&hl=en_US&fs=1&color1=0xe1600f&color2=0xfebd01" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>[/yt]

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
emartin;4002285; said:
Actually now that they settled in more I can see that they have complete barring, not any partial or anything.

What is weird though is they still don't look like normal D. microlepis, like this pic:

They almost look like D. pulcher but it's obvious that they aren't (and can't possibly be either).
True, they cant be.
Most people would NOT even beable to tell the difference between ST and IT.
Those that can have often been researching and keeping these fish for many years. Unlike many of the experts here that have only kept baby indos as of late (not aimed at you mate.)

Is there a WIDE-BAR D. microlepis variant (without broken bars or anything)? NO such thing. Its very simple, the pic u attached is traditional 4 bar indo. (I dont count the one through the eyes or near the tail)

If its broken bars; 3 bars, 3.5 bars, Y -pattern bars etc, we call that an "Oddball" tiger.

If its got bars that go all the way round body, without breaks, then that bar is called a "full body belt". If the first bar (exclude the one going through eyes) goes all the way round, we call that a "full neck band."

These terms are not scientific terms as you may have guessed, just popular terms amongst tiger fanatics.

I'll get pics later.

One of them isn't looking too good the f*cking WC Botia histrionica won't leave one of them alone so I am going to do an extra major water change in that 29g and probably set up a new tank (likely a 20g-long) for all three of them to try to get them off frozen too. I don't have spare tanks to put the Botia somewhere else, otherwise I'd keep all 3 dats in there since the haplochromine fry aren't bothering them. Loaches drive me mad also. lol

I was thinking of, since starving them at that young age isn't really an option, pulping up bloodworms and black mosquito larvae and soaking the pellets brand I feed (Dainichi) in it to try and trick them into eating them. Think it's worth a shot? Definately,go for it.

I keep seeing Massivore ..... Go online or ebay. I paid bout £72 for 2 KG which is approx. 60% saving over the retail price. But add shipping , and the saving is about %50 ;)

Thanks,
~Ed
answers in green emartin.

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
Indos can have tons of different patterns....I have alot of oddballs and yes they can have widebars like a ST but you should see differences if you've seen enough tigers to tell them apart. So far every pic you've shown are of IT's.

emartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2009
Jersey Shore
@Abe:
$108usd (75L) FOR 2kg (4.4lb)??? Damn that's a lot of money...

Why is Massivore so expensive? I just looked on ebay it's ABOVE retail there (with or without shipping factored in for almost all the listings). I was hoping to just pay retail or a little bit above it including shipping.

emartin

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 12, 2009
Jersey Shore
I'm going to try Ocean Nutrition Formula One Small and Medium Pellets first since they are soft like massivore and hikari carnivore pellets, and with similar ingredients, but if the datnioides don't take them I know my malawi haplochromines will so I will feel better about spending money on them.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
emartin;4002745; said:
I'm going to try Ocean Nutrition Formula One Small and Medium Pellets first since they are soft like massivore and hikari carnivore pellets, and with similar ingredients, but if the datnioides don't take them I know my malawi haplochromines will so I will feel better about spending money on them.
True, hikari are very expnsive, but you pay for what you get. It's hugh q dry food. The 2kg last me 6 months and I also feed frozen foods in the mix as well. I knowof others who go through shed loads more than me. Those silly 74g bags will last 2 feeds if my tigers r hungry :D
Try kubazoo .com, that's my source.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store