How to get big dats to eat pellets?

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
I had no problem getting little dats to eat pellets but currently I'm having a VERY hard time converting the larger ones. I'm trying to convert a 6" NGT to eat pellets. He just looks at the massivore sink to the bottom each time. Is there any other method besides starving them?

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
frootloops;4002300; said:
I had no problem getting little dats to eat pellets but currently I'm having a VERY hard time converting the larger ones. I'm trying to convert a 6" NGT to eat pellets. He just looks at the massivore sink to the bottom each time. Is there any other method besides starving them?
For the bigger tigers, I'm afraid its the eat or die. This is the quickest method ime. Bigger ones have enough bulk to last ages with no food. For my thinbar (8.5 inch), it was already fat when i got him in Oct '09. He was fussy, didnt eat for 4 weeks (i wasnt even trying to starve.) Eventually it started to eat prawns on "daily" basis starting in mid-Jan 2010.

I started converting to pellets in Mid Feb, so 4 weeks and still not eaten pellets or anything. Still fat as anything. I reckon another 4 weeks and the job will be done. I dont panic after 4 weeks because i have done this method before with success:). Some of my tigers were real stubborn, taking up to 9-10 weeks before there eating pellets "daily".

If you dont have will power for starve method, try marinate method. Takes longer, but does work.

How long you been trying to convert? not long I bet...

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
Ade;4002383; said:
it was already fat when i got him in Oct '09. He was fussy, didnt eat for 4 weeks (i wasnt even trying to starve.) Eventually it started to eat prawns on "daily" basis starting in mid-Jan 2010.
Yup, Only tried starving for about 1.5 weeks and I gave in and gave some shrimp yesterday :D. So you're saying since you got him in October your tiger didn't eat til mid January? That's 2.5 months

So do I just starve him for several months until he accepts the massivore and just drop a pellet everyday until he eats one?

FunWow!

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
Rhode Island
It would help you some if you had fish in the tank that ate pellets. I get them to go after pellets by them watching other fish eating them.

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
frootloops;4004303; said:
Yup, Only tried starving for about 1.5 weeks and I gave in and gave some shrimp yesterday :D. So you're saying since you got him in October your tiger didn't eat til mid January? That's 2.5 months

So do I just starve him for several months until he accepts the massivore and just drop a pellet everyday until he eats one?
Maybe I didn't explain clearly, Oct 09 new thinbar, Very fussy. Did not eat for 4 weeks. It ate a few prawns in Dec and Jan. Then by end Jan/Feb, was eating prawns DAILY.
Mid Feb begin starving on to pellets.
If I cave in now, then it's back to square 1, and I loose 4 weeks on the conveyor belt .

Funwow mentioned getting other fish that eat pellets. Definately helps.

keonigt

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2010
Hawaii
How do i suggest i go about feeding my 1.5 inch datnoid pellets?

frootloops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2010
Philippines
Ade;4004828; said:
Maybe I didn't explain clearly, Oct 09 new thinbar, Very fussy. Did not eat for 4 weeks. It ate a few prawns in Dec and Jan. Then by end Jan/Feb, was eating prawns DAILY.
Mid Feb begin starving on to pellets.
If I cave in now, then it's back to square 1, and I loose 4 weeks on the conveyor belt .

Funwow mentioned getting other fish that eat pellets. Definately helps.
Ohhhh... now I get it! Ok, I'll try the starving method. Hopefully I'll have enough willpower to starve him for more than 1.5 weeks.

Regarding the post about adding other fish that eat pellets with the stubborn tigers. I added my 3" IT in with my 9pcs 1.5" to 2" ITs that all eat pellets. So far he still won't eat any. It's been a week now.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store