Need some opinions on my ray

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
I have a very established (2 years) p14 male that admittedly has gone through a lot of stress in the last few weeks. (just tank moves and such) He also had an introduction of new tank mates from a friend of mine. There is nothing wrong with the water parameters and tank mates are discus other than rays.

About a week and a half ago stopped eating and has been generally staying in the same spot of the tank with the front of his disc up with his mouth moving and breathing heavily. I have tried salt and temp which did nothing, tried black worms and nothing. I recently added binox (last night) as someone thought the other rays may have brought in a bacterial issue. I am going to let the binox run its course however as there is no improvement I am wondering if there is anybody who has seen this and what they did.

This is a large male p14 and guarantee there is no other fish picking on it. This is very active and dominant male so to sit there and not eat is very out of character.

FireMedic

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2007
Middle of somewhere, Oulu Wisconsin
This is just a shot in the dark but you may want to consider putting him in his own tank as a quarantine measure. Both for his health and the health of the other fish.
Sorry my advice isn't better.
Respectfully,
FireMedic.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I lost 2 Marbles a while back. Only symptoms were loss of appetite and heavy breathing. After losing 2 females a male began showing symptoms. I Prazi'd the pond 3 times over the course of about 2 weeks. The heavy breathing stopped, and appetite returned after a week or so of starting Prazi treatment. Still not sure exactly what it was, maybe gill flukes?

I remember Trev also having some breathing issues in some of his rays, also taken care of by Prazi.

As safe as Prazi is compared to Binox I would definetly give it a shot, after the Binox.

Good luck man!!!

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Thanks I will try Prazi. Any issues with them both together you figure? I really dont want to wait

COOL MBU

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2006
MICHIGAN
I've had this type of situation on a few occasions-Treated with Prazi for 5-7 days,and everything went back to normal.

I'm pretty sure Binox will also kill all your B.B.,so be carefull!!

Good Luck!

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
Update,

Still have not tried Prazi-pro but will now. Ray is no better after 10 days of salt and high temp after the Binox treatment. Just sits and acts relatively normal other than lifting the front of its disc constantly and extending its mouth. Hard to describe but if you have had it happen you will know what I am talking about.

Need a miracle here.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
The store is out of prazipro and just has praziquantel which is the dry version. Any thoughts on the dosage? 1-2 times enough?

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
Don't rush in with the meds. Those symptoms nearly always mean ph fluctuations.
What is the ph going into the tank? What is the tank ph? Then also check ph at different times of day , for example a couple of hours after feeding.
I remember you moved some rays back and forth while your big Henlei was sadly having problems. So ph changes could be it. I may be wrong but worth checking as osmotic shock effects rays more than some people on here think.
Hope it pulls through

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
sam buckle;4054174; said:
Don't rush in with the meds. Those symptoms nearly always mean ph fluctuations.
What is the ph going into the tank? What is the tank ph? Then also check ph at different times of day , for example a couple of hours after feeding.
I remember you moved some rays back and forth while your big Henlei was sadly having problems. So ph changes could be it. I may be wrong but worth checking as osmotic shock effects rays more than some people on here think.
Hope it pulls through
I actually followed that lead a while ago as it made sense however my ph even with the drip stays just under 7.

Thanks though I appreciate the thoughts.

rudy

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2006
calgary
So follow up on this. Hip bones were showing badly on Thursday when I got back so went ahead and treated with Prazipro. Ray ate half a worm yesterday morning. 2 full worms last night and this morning was attacking pellets.

Could have been fluke but I would more think that the prazipro killed whatever was bugging it. No idea what it could have been but cheers to happy endings.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store