What kind of sand?

pacu22

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Undisclosed
I would like to know once and for all... Is silica sand safe for rays and does it stick to the rays?
If not what kind of sand can I use that doesn't stick and is ray safe?

PS: links to where I can buy it would be greatly appreciated!

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
pool filter sands, heavier the better, it wont stick

boldtogether

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2008
chino hills, california
Ive been extremlt happy with a #12 blasting sand(thats what its called at the masonary supply). The grains are the size of say, raw sugar and are round. They just roll off everything and they dont compact. Sorry about the pic quality.

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
boldtogether;4020529; said:
Ive been extremlt happy with a #12 blasting sand(thats what its called at the masonary supply). The grains are the size of say, raw sugar and are round. They just roll off everything and they dont compact. Sorry about the pic quality.
have you had stingrays with that sand? I think, im not a sand blaster or anything, but i would have to thing that the sand used for that has a really sharp or at least square edges on it right? rays would need very soft sand with round edges. i've once heard someone say this, and i've started using it to since i like it so much, pick sand like your gonna rub it on the roof of your mouth when choosing sand for rays. basically what im trying to say is that its gotta be really soft, and i dont think blasting sand is.

pacu22

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Undisclosed
KING1307;4021352; said:
have you had stingrays with that sand? I think, im not a sand blaster or anything, but i would have to thing that the sand used for that has a really sharp or at least square edges on it right? rays would need very soft sand with round edges. i've once heard someone say this, and i've started using it to since i like it so much, pick sand like your gonna rub it on the roof of your mouth when choosing sand for rays. basically what im trying to say is that its gotta be really soft, and i dont think blasting sand is.
So, I have never felt pool filter sand, but I am assuming you have and use it for your rays? The only reason I question this is because I have seen people argue saying that it is not ray safe.

KING1307

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2009
Ontario
i dont even think that that is an argument anymore, id have to say that at least half the ray keepers on here use pool sand now

pacu22

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Undisclosed
So...I went to home depot and asked for pool filter sand and the guy brings me to the building supplies and shows me the 20 grade blasting sand. I felt it and it seems a bit sharp. Now what?

oldfish

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Beavercreek Ohio
pacu22;4045364; said:
So...I went to home depot and asked for pool filter sand and the guy brings me to the building supplies and shows me the 20 grade blasting sand. I felt it and it seems a bit sharp. Now what?
If you want swimming pool sand go to a swimming pool supply or a department store like Meiyer.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
i liked estes dosent really stick to the ray and its heavy enough to stay on the bottom after it has been in the water for a time anyway.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store