what fish can i put with my oscar?

CODzilla

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2009
UK
Are you going to be getting a bigger tank any time soon? Start adding anything else and you will have an even tougher job keeping your nitrates to a reasonable level which could contribute to hole in the head disease for the Oscar.

I keep Pim Pictus cats and Silver Dollars with mine, the dollars hoover up anything that the Oscars drop and if they miss it the cats will have it from the bottom. You have to watch the Pictus cats though, their side fins are actually very sharp barbs which could see the fish stuck in the Oscars mouth if they try to eat them so bigger is better. Also if you try netting them they will get stuck in the net, if this happens cut the net around the barbs (without touching the barb) and the net will come free after a short time of swimming around.

If you can get a bigger tank there are loads of possibilities as long as you don't have a psycho Oscar.

carfreak1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
nsw,australia
yeah im trying to convince my parents to let me get a 6 footer.
hes not completely physco but he loves live fish as a treat every month.

is there any catfish that can go with him that dont have barbs that will hurt him if he trys to eat them? because i think he would probably try eating them at first.

CTU2fan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Port Orange, FL
Just pick something bigger, like a Syno. eupterus or something similar. Or 4-line pictus, or even a bullhead (but bulls get big, you'd want the 6' tank for sure).

carfreak1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
nsw,australia
yeah im still trying to convince them but i dont think its working so if i get my mechanics apprenticeship by the end of the year i will just buy it myself.

Noddy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 7, 2008
Ede-Holland
Your O will like that bigger tank very much.
I got Silver Dollars for the scraps, and plecos for some gravelcleaning.
But those fish together need quite some space.

TrikkyMakk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 3, 2008
Tampa, Florida
carfreak1995;4019765; said:
yeah im trying to convince my parents to let me get a 6 footer.
hes not completely physco but he loves live fish as a treat every month.

is there any catfish that can go with him that dont have barbs that will hurt him if he trys to eat them? because i think he would probably try eating them at first.
You should hope so as an oscar in a 55 gallon is not going to be happy. Also make sure you get lots of good filtration as Oscars are one of the messiest cichlids around and require more filtration than most fish.

carfreak1995

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2010
nsw,australia
hes not fully grown yet hes probably abit over a year old and about 20cm so hes probably not that unhappy with the tank size.and for filtration at the moment its only a 800 lph filter which probably isnt that good so im getting 2000 lph canister filter soon.

Kolkri

Gambusia
MFK Member
Untill you get a bigger tank nothing. But once you do my JD does a good job eating stuff my Oscar spits out. And my Pleco.
But none of those can do as well as a python can.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store