Removing a parasite?

callen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
Alright guys, I just picked up a 5 to 6" Motoro today that i'm acclimating right now and i just noticed this crazy looking parasite stuck to it's back. It's about as big around as a pencil eraser, and kinda flat, but it's moving....Anyone know what this could be? Can i remove it? This is my first ray, so i'm buggin out! Any advice would be great.

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
lice they get it either meds or u must remove it but to be honest lets see a pic first before we rule out what it is

callen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
I think it is lice, I'd take a pic but my camera is crap. I can see more of them now, about 6 or 7. I don't know how i missed seeing these at the store. What is the best way to handle the ray while removing these things?

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
Even if you remove those that you see you will not have eradicated them. They will have laid eggs.
I would treat the system.

callen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2008
Houston, Texas
Alright, i've read through a couple of old threads, and it is def. fish lice. I geuss i'm going to try and remove em, then treat the tank...anyone had any luck w/ Dimilin? Any other suggestions on meds? Man, i hope this damn thing doesn't tag me! lol

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
i used a product called anchors away at full dose worked perfect! you can find it at the local pond supply store. its a anchor worm med, but works great on lice, dissolves there shells! you can watch them panic and wiggle as they die lol!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store