Beach Pebbles for ray tank?

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
If you have a glass tank... that is a no no..... the rays will throw the rocks looking for food and will break the glass

pacu22

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Undisclosed
turkeyboy85;4028439; said:
If you have a glass tank... that is a no no..... the rays will throw the rocks looking for food and will break the glass
the tank is acrylic. I was thinking of maybe keeping a portion of the tank covered in sand.
My main concern is will they hurt themselves?

sixftsam

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2008
England, Surrey
Very much been wondering about something along these lines myself for a future tank, so bump for someone with an answer!

Edit: I have used similar beach stones in a non ray tank. There was no risk of them being moved because of the smaller size of the fish. In terms of treating them, i soaked them in fresh water for about 3 weeks with fairly frequent water changes. Hope this helps a little.

pacu22

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2008
Undisclosed
sixftsam;4030326; said:
Very much been wondering about something along these lines myself for a future tank, so bump for someone with an answer!

Edit: I have used similar beach stones in a non ray tank. There was no risk of them being moved because of the smaller size of the fish. In terms of treating them, i soaked them in fresh water for about 3 weeks with fairly frequent water changes. Hope this helps a little.
Thanks. I think I'm going to try it out since nobody seems to have done it :confused:. I will let you know how it goes.

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
I have rocks similar to these in my tank surrounding the returns on the bottom of the tank. The rays move them around and seem to enjoy playing with them. I haven't notice any issues with them hurting themselves.

shadow7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 15, 2008
Singapore
I used to have about 10 of these rocks in my tank but has since taken them out cos my rays likes to use the rocks and keep hitting the bottom of the tank and the noise they make can be quite irritating in the middle of the night.

mrcrane

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
I'm LOST!!!!!
if put too much. you might have problem cleaning the tank since the poops will scatter and fall into the little crack. thats make alittle problem to siphon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store