How long for a Motoro ina ...

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
Hi' Guy's ,

I've currently got a retic ray in a 4x2x2 100g its about 5inch, i did have two but the other one decided it was going to stop eating( it was eating fine for a few weeks) . Anyhow i'm currently building a 72"L x 30" H and 30"W and am thinking of just getting a couple of motoro rays for a wile until i can get the scobina rays i want and can get a 9-10inch female motoro fairly cheap, would i be able to put this in the 4x2x2 for a few weeks before moving it onto the bigger tank? Guy wants it sold in a few weeks thats all.
Once the other tank is fully complete, hopefully before the end of April or early may i want to get a male motoro ray to go with the female.
How long would a motoro of say 10inch be ok in the 4x2x2 with daily water changes with 8/9x turnover an hour and then how long in the 72"L x 30" H and 30"W before i'd be looking at selling it or upgrading tank again?

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
A 10" motoro would be fine in the 4x2x2 for quite a while, even without daily water changes (as long as you have sufficient filtration). After that, it could stay in the 72x30x30 for most, if not all, of its life.

Is the motoro wild caught or captive bred? If its captive bred, I would be hesitant adding it directly to a tank with a wild caught retic. You will also need to watch for general aggression and food aggression between the retic and motoro (assuming you'll keep them together).

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
Conner;4030442; said:
A 10" motoro would be fine in the 4x2x2 for quite a while, even without daily water changes (as long as you have sufficient filtration). After that, it could stay in the 72x30x30 for most, if not all, of its life.

Is the motoro wild caught or captive bred? If its captive bred, I would be hesitant adding it directly to a tank with a wild caught retic. You will also need to watch for general aggression and food aggression between the retic and motoro (assuming you'll keep them together).
Thanks for the response, I'm not sure if it's wild caught or not , I'll find out.
The person i'm getting it off had it with my retic before i brought that of him.They were only together for a few days before i go the retic off him but there was no agression in the time they were together. Currently filtering the tank is a eheim 2078e and a hagen/fluval fx5 with acouple of water pumps to help circulation. Currently just doing daily water changes out of habit really, i find smaller and more frequent changes to be easier as i don't have to wurry so much about the drop in tempreture when i stick fresh RO water in.
If i do witness any agression i'll seperate them as i have a slightly smaller tank the retic can go in for a little bit .

I would of thought the motoro would outgrow my new build eventually , although i'd imagine it'd take some time.

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
as for your tank you building if you're getting on motoro let alone 2 your gonna want to have something 300 gallons for a permanent housing

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
always4lora;4030495; said:
I would of thought the motoro would outgrow my new build eventually , although i'd imagine it'd take some time.
It's possible they will outgrow it, but many rays will not exceed 24" in diameter, or if they do, it will be many years down the road. That 72x30x30 will likely last you a long time (several years at minimum) with motoro's.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store