strange creatures in sump!

AngusJB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
north east england
I noticed today that ive got hundreds of tiny and i mean tiny little black bugs in the media of my ray tank, they look like little fruit flies. I tried to get a pic but they didnt show on the camera. Could anyone shed some light on what they may be or if they are harmfull?

thanks Angus

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Maybe you had some kind of flying bug lay eggs in your sump? Hard to tell, have they made it to the main tank?

AngusJB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
north east england
Ive tried to get picss but my camera is only 6megapixel, i think the fly suggestion may be the answer as ive seen some on the surface of the sump, they are only in the sump. I just wanted to check they werent some bacteria eating critter lol as i seem to have a constant battle with nitrite.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
i get them from time to time. its basically a sign saying u need to keep your system cleaner.

AngusJB

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 10, 2009
north east england
Thanks. Cleaner how? like rinse the media more or more wc? i don 25% every other day and the sponges catch all the muck before it hits the sump.

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
AngusJB;4032834; said:
Ive tried to get picss but my camera is only 6megapixel,
Just for the sake of reference, it's most likely your lens and not the amount of megapixels that is effecting your photo taking abilities.

Sorry, I'm a bit of a photo nerd.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store