Need Good Divider Ideas...

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
so i came home today to find my divider knocked over for the second time. ive been using eggcrate and suction cups but its just not strong enough. my male leo is a horn ball and keeps knocking it down...

anyone know where to find some heavy duty suction cups or any other ideas??

wht do u use?

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Dent pullers (big suction cups) from NAPA or any other auto parts store. I use them to anchor a lot of things underwater- including myself when I'm scrubbing windows.

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
I can't remember the exact post, but someone in the DIY forum built one using sand filled PVC as a frame (for weight), and eggcrate zip tied to it. You make legs at the bottom of the PVC frame, and that coupled with the sand will help to keep it from getting knocked down.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Zoodiver;4033992; said:
Dent pullers (big suction cups) from NAPA or any other auto parts store. I use them to anchor a lot of things underwater- including myself when I'm scrubbing windows.
haxjester;4034199; said:
I can't remember the exact post, but someone in the DIY forum built one using sand filled PVC as a frame (for weight), and eggcrate zip tied to it. You make legs at the bottom of the PVC frame, and that coupled with the sand will help to keep it from getting knocked down.
thanks guys!!

ill be going to home depot and murrys tomorrow :D

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
Use egg crate and use 1/2" copper pipe insulation to cap the sides and bottom. Make it tight enough that you have to force it down. The foam will not shrink and should make it snug enough to hold. How far of a span do you have?

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
FishDog;4034505; said:
Use egg crate and use 1/2" copper pipe insulation to cap the sides and bottom. Make it tight enough that you have to force it down. The foam will not shrink and should make it snug enough to hold. How far of a span do you have?
4 ft

i dont think it will get tight enough unless i brace it somehow. it will bend to easily

maybe if i double eggcrate and zip tie it together?

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
Doubling it should make it quite a bit stronger. Although, in most cases, one piece should do it.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I got so freustrated with my divider I just dumped boulders in on each side that were too big for the rays to move. I used driftwood on either side in the pond. Seemed the divider had a better chance if the rays were kept away from it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store