New rays :)

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Just got my first 2 rays tonight.

I know everyone says to go motoro first as they're easier, but I just could not do it.

Instead, I went with 2 retics, a male and a female who is slightly larger than the male.

They are still quite small, but are very used to captivity. I had very little problem with them.

Infact, they have rustled up the sand in my tank and fogged it all up, hence I cannot post pictures yet, haha.

They are well taken care of, no ribs showing or dents in their heads. They are constantly on the move, checking everything out, curious to no end.

I feel I've been lucky with them. They were already eating well when I purchased them, they've been in the LFS for approx 2-3 months, and I've had a deposit on them for the last month while my tank cycled. (4+ hr power outage killed all my bb and I had to restart the fishless cycle, what a pain.) They are already eating like little piggies. They're chowing down on bloodworms and ghost shrimp within 2 hrs of being in the tank. I still have to pick up some other types of foods for them, but so far have bloodworms, ghost shrimp and store bred feeder guppies. LFS had run out of dewworms and blackworms, so I'll have to pick some up on Sat when stores are open.

They've barely needed any adjustment time, although I am continuing to keep the light off for now.

I hope they do well, and I can't wait to show you guys them!

*Update* One seems to like the ghost shrimp and is munching through them while the other is chowing down on guppies. So cool watching them catch their food.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Thanks!
I think it's due to the LFS that was keeping them so well. He was the one that had them eating various foods. They had been eating blackworms, bloodworms, ghost shrimp, snails, etc in the store ahead of time. Not sure if he had given them any pellets or not.
Oh well, I'll get there when I get there.

They are still quite small, the female's disc is approx 4 inches across, the male is just a smidge under that.

They've already devoured all of the shrimp in the tank, only a few feeder fish left. Will definitely have to pick up more live food for them on Sat when stores open again.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Gshock;4036452; said:
do NOT feed feeders...
I have heard that they are bacteria timebombs waiting to go off.
Is it because they've been randomly shipped?
My LFS breeds them in his tanks in-store, in more controlled environments, not receiving an outside shipment. Does this change the outlook on using these feeders?

They seem to be less interested in the feeders anyways, still 7 of the 12 left, while the shrimp are completely gone.

I think I will be feeding them more ghost shrimp, and getting ahold of some blackworms tomorrow (today since it's almost 4am). Need to get some nightcrawlers/dewworms as well. Not sure what else I will be feeding them. They're currently eating up some bloodworms till I can get more foods when stores open.

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
So, my camera fu is weak, but until i can get better pics, here you guys go.
Water is calming down, but still a little dusty. I just fed them bloodworms which you might notice in the pics. I also added in some duck weed today, my LFS keeps some in his ray tanks and they just love it, so I added some and they went into an eating frenzy. It's nice because it'll also grow and lower the algae growth in the tank because of the shade it'll give off.

The male enjoyed the camera's attention, but the female slid up against the glass and hid behind her disc lol, camera shy I guess.

This is them together. Blurry, I know :-/ *oh, by the way, they are slightly dusty from the sand they were hiding under lol*

These two pics are of the male. He has larger spots on him.

These 2 pics are of the female. She has a more vivid smaller spot pattern on her.

Anyone have any advice on photographing them? I didn't use my flash as it just glared, but could not seem to get the camera in focus for the life of me.

Oh well, I hope you guys enjoy :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store