Sick ray! Lost all color! Help!

fastcarsnbigfishies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
New Mexico
I don't know what is going on. I woke up this morning to see my smallest female hybrid has lost all of her color. She is SO pale! Her lumps seem lopsided. She is pretty inactive compared to her usual self, however she is still eating pretty well. We fed her a new batch of night crawlers last night so that is one of my only thoughts as to what could be making her sick. There was a slight trace of ammonia in the tank probably due to cleaning 2 out of the 3 filters out two days ago. I did a 50% water change two days ago and another 50% water change today.

I am worried because I do not want to lose her, but I also have a pregnant female motor in the same tank and i don't want to lose her also or the babies. Any ideas or suggestions are really appreciated. Thanks

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
As far as I've been told, cleaning out your filters at the same time is not a good thing. Supposed to only clean out portions of a filter out at a time, not everything in it all at once.

fastcarsnbigfishies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
New Mexico
hereticlosmorte;4040568; said:
As far as I've been told, cleaning out your filters at the same time is not a good thing. Supposed to only clean out portions of a filter out at a time, not everything in it all at once.
yeeep got it.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
slow down on feeding and do alot of waterchanges. i would recommend 25% morning and night unless u are using aged water, then u can do more.

with your ray being pale im guessing your ph is all over the place

fastcarsnbigfishies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
New Mexico
vamptrev;4040694; said:
slow down on feeding and do alot of waterchanges. i would recommend 25% morning and night unless u are using aged water, then u can do more.

with your ray being pale im guessing your ph is all over the place
my pH is usually pretty stable just under 8, but today it read about 7.0
I'll keep up with smaller frequent water changes for the next few days.

fastcarsnbigfishies

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2008
New Mexico
I put some epsom salt in the tank last night. This morning there is big dark solid poop everywhere. She has all of her color back and is active like normal again. I don't know whether it was the earthworms she ate, or the water conditions, or a little bit of both but she really gave me a good scare yesterday.

daniel :)

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2010
australia,melbourne
just a quick question about tank cleaning when i do mine i do a full 100% water clean at a time and the 2 internal filters im guesing iam doin the wrong thing now after i have put all the water in i put about 20tlbs spoons of blue powder water conditioner and then i wait for it to heat up and to clear can someone tell me how i should do this corectly

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store