Disc Damage?

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
Alright, I have 2 females and 1 male together. 1 female is 10" and the other is 9". The male is about 7". I thought my Arowana had been nipping the disc of my larger female but the Aro is now gone and the damage continues. I see him going for the larger female when the lights are on and when the lights are out she stays against the front glass to get a break I assume. It seems he is not interested in the smaller female. It also seems just like nipping and not a full on mounting attempt.

I do not believe the damage is breeding related due to the size of them but I hope I am wrong. My questions are.......

If the damage is due to possible breeding attempts, how long does the male pursue?

Does this happen consistantly till the deed is done or does it come in waves?

If the damage is not due to breeding attempts, will he eventually stop or will I have to seperate them?

Is aggression like this common if not breeding related?

Thanks in advance.

jeffers

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 11, 2009
southern indiana
well first question is is how big are the males claspers? if they are not mature and rolled then you know its not breeding.

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
I don't know what rolled looks like. They're pretty fat.

EDIT: After some searches, they are rolled for sure.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
at 10 " its not out of the question that she could be starting to mature

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
So will he torment her till he gets the job done or is this a continuous thing? Does this pursuit come and go?

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
motoro are one of the highest sexed rays they love food and sex and not much else

some rays stop stressing the female for sex after they are preg some dont

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
So do I separate till she heals up or do I just let them be? What do you guys w/ proven breeders do?

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
I had to separate them. You will probably have to as well.

JL

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2008
Warm waters
Well, I separated them. I guess I'll give her time to heal and try to mix them again. Any other suggestions?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store