rays begginer help

daniel :)

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 13, 2010
australia,melbourne
hii all my goal in aquatic keeping is to breed rays but im far from caring for 1 atm i have a barramundi a turtle white edge rivaltatus and a salmon cat and soon im getting a red devil cichlid
so just wondering what are the basics of ray keeping i know all about the enviroment they should have but i cant seem to find any useful info also whats the best species of ray i should start off with and also how much do they normaly cost here in australia

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
start with a motoro.... and in australia you are lookin at abot 1000-1500 per pup from breeders

Draygen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
Washington DC
Motoro's seem to be the popular choice. I started with retics myself. My suggestion is do lots and lots of research, and then after that do some more. There's a lot of good information out there, you've just got to find it. Sorry I know that's not a quick and easy answer for you :) . Good luck with the breeding!! I like the fact you're aiming high. Be very careful on tank mates, discus, arowanas, and angels seem to be what most people go with and have good luck.

BlackShark11k

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 8, 2009
somewhere
Motors are a great choice, I personally wouldn't start with a retic since they can be a little more difficult to keep alive...

Large roomy tank, I personally would recomend using a tile substrate, not only is this what many overseas breeders do but I personally love the look, you don't need to do this. Do not keep them on a gravel substrate since this can tear their gentle underside. As far as tank-mates go, keep them with similarly sized (not too much smaller!) fish that won't be aggressive or attack the ray. A red devil is probably a bad tank-mate choice, I've heard of severums attacking rays...

Do LOTS of research, make sure you know everything before you go and buy one.

GL

hereticlosmorte

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 1, 2010
Ontario, Canada
I started out with retics too just recently, they seem to be thriving. I think it has alot to do with extensive research for their care, but most importantly, I got them from a seller I trusted who kept them in amazing conditions and environments and took the time to get them to eat other foods than just blackworms.

I only go to this seller for my livestock and almost all of my equipment (unless he happens to be out).

SpeshulEd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
if you're looking for beginner ray help, you may want to read through the stickies at the top of this forum.

skylineiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2008
Australia
hey mate rays have droped in prices nows a great time to buy!

few going for 500-600 pairs going for as cheap as 900.
might strugle to find some now, but there should be more coming later this year i believe.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store