How much/often do you feed your rays?

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
I'm trying to reduce my feedings so trying to get an idea of how much and how often you guys are feeding your rays. My rays are about 6" and I'm wondering if daily feedings are okay and if I could even stretch feedings to every other day.

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
6" and below would be twice a day and above you can do once per day.... dont cut it down

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
As long as you give them a good feed, it souldent be a problem only to feed them 3-4 times a week.

Clearwater guy

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2010
Michigan, USA
Depends on if you're trying to maximize growth rate or not.

For this reason, I feed my smaller ones 4 times per day or more, but smaller amounts. Just like my 6th grader. ;)

But I have the time, and I want them to grow as fast as possible.

Mike

Draygen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 9, 2009
Washington DC
I usually feed mine once a day, they're 6" and 4.5". I've had weeks where I've only feed them 4 or 5 times a week but I try not to make a habit of it. Twice a day is probably the best practice especially if they're not adult rays.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
turkeyboy85;4044274; said:
6" and below would be twice a day and above you can do once per day.... dont cut it down
andersp90;4044338; said:
As long as you give them a good feed, it souldent be a problem only to feed them 3-4 times a week.
Wow, those are two really different responses.

As far as under 6 inches, I would think at least one good meal a day, two if you have the time (morning and evening).

above 6 inches, you can probably start cutting back to once a day or once every other day.

With both of my ~8" motoro's, they can go every other day with feedings, but any more than that and they start to look skinny. I like to feed every day, and sometimes twice a day.

ado124

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2006
Alexandria, VA
Thanks for all the responses! Very surprised at the differences too! I feed mine once a day and they are pretty fat.

Does diet matter? I feel like my rays stay "fuller" longer because they eat pellets.

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
The first 3 months 3-6 times a day, 6" and below at least 3 times a day, when they are bigger than this I usually feed twice a day. This doesn't mean you need to powerfeed them each time but I find the rays appear healthier, are less aggresive, and if you have multiple rays in one tank it seems to allow the less aggressive ones a chance to feed.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
I feed once a day unless I have one that is extra active or shows signs of aggression then I feed 2-3 times a day just for that one ray. My marbles are laid back but my flowers swim all day long so I try to feed the flowers atleast twice a day. I do this by dropping food right next to them so they can eat without the other rays getting it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store