What to feed... What to do?

Tpriem21

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Bristol, IN
My female motoro pup is eating great! Other than the fact she will not touch earthworms. I have tried frozen, live, whole, cut up, off tongs, everything and she will not touch them. What do i do?? Thanks
Tyler

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Well, as long as shes eating, you don't have to worry about the worms much. It's usually just used in the beginning to get to to start eating and start packing some weight on. You can do so with other foods as well as long as your ray is eating it.

Tpriem21

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Bristol, IN
Well people said my motoro looks a little skinny and to use earthworms to fatten her up. What are some other foods i can feed to put some weight on her?

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Shrimp will pack the weight on well. Also what type of worms are you trying to feed? If it is red worms they sometimes will regect them, try canadian nightcrawlers.

Tpriem21

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Bristol, IN
She didnt like shrimp. I tried for several days. lol and she eats bloodworm cubes but canadian nightcrawlers are what i am trying. Thanks for the info
Tyler

Mosquito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
Indo
just give her food more often.. it doesnt have to earth worm, as long as she want to eat give her what she want..

Deaths Sting

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2009
Vancouver, Canada
stingrays are carnivorous so they require high amounts of protein, upwards of 45% AT THE LEAST!! stingrays are constantly moving around burning energy, unlike some other carnivorous fish. this results in a major burn in energy, a good way to loose weight!! and not what u want!! also protein is the building block of life, it allows the ray to build new tissue and keeps the ray strong!!

for example, Massivore has a Guaranteed analysis of 47% protein, where as frozen blood worms have under 10%. Massivore also contains a ton of nutrients. which out ways that of blood worms any day of the week. if ur having a hard time believing me just read the ingredients, they pack sooo much vitamins and minerals into it.. it also out weighs Live because of the potential for parasite or bacteria transfer common with live foods.

i feed massivore 5-6 days a week, sometimes ill feed the following:

- Prawn (frozen and raw)

- tilapia (frozen and raw)

- squid (frozen and raw)

- smelt (frozen and raw)

- herring (frozen and raw)

- krill (frozen and raw)

- night crawlers (live)

- red wigglers (live)

- tubifex worms (live)

- silver sides (frozen and raw)

- mysis shrimp ( that was my rays first food) (frozen and raw)

- Brine shrimp (frozen and raw) or live.

i have even gotten my ray to eat:

- algae wafers

- regular wafer

- shrimp pellets

- flake food

- other pellets, i.e Hikari Cichlid gold and NLS Cichlid formula

i also recommend if the ray is small to feed it 2-3 times a day, and feed it as much as it will eat!! make sure to clean up the left overs. also, make sure u have enough filtration!

the ray will probably not eat pellets and other prepared food right away. u will have to train it to recognize it as food. a method that has been very successful for me in the past; is to marinate the pellet or whatever in the ray's favorite food. the scent of the favorite food will attract the ray's attention and help it recognize that it is indeed food! also, be patient this may not work the very first time or the tenth time.

make sure not to over feed. clean up any mess u make, from the food left over. i would first fatten the ray up on it favorite food then try this method. if u have weeks of failure then i would starve the ray until it excepts the pellet. REMEMBER!! do not starve a ray if it is malnourished or sick!!

Variety is Important too!! just pick a staple that fits the needs of the fish! i picked Massivore as a staple for my ray, u do NOT have to do the same.... i do recommend it though

^ i hope all of this has helped u, i wish u luck with ur ray

Tpriem21

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2010
Bristol, IN
Ok ill bump up the feedings. Thanks a lot for the info guys
Death Sting- Thanks for that info

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store