Curing velvet with pimafix?

HypeMan808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hawaii
My Pinoy Angelfish has Velvet Disease!! :nilly:
Is it possible to cure my Pinoy Angelfish with Pimafix?
That's all I have right now and I want to start taking care of it immidiately.

I know pimafix cures fungal and from what I heard Velvet is a fungus.

So much for being excited and not quarentining my fishes before adding them to my main tank.. I introduced a disease to my once health angels. :irked:

alexmuw

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2009
meow
Unfortunately, Velvet is a PARASITIC infection, not fungal infection. PimaFix will do nothing, except waste your money.

It's similar to ich; thus any treatment for ich will usually also work for velvet.

Taken from a site:

Velvet or Rust
Symptoms: Clamped fins, respiratory distress (breathing hard), yellow to light brown "dust" on body.

This disease has the appearance of a golden or brownish dust over the fins and body. The fish may show signs of irritation, like glancing off aquarium decor, shortage of breath (fish-wise), and clamping of the fins. The gills are usually the first thing affected. Velvet affects different species in different ways. Danios seem to be the most susceptible, but often show no discomfort. This disease is highly contagious and fatal.
The best treatment is with copper at 0.2 mg per liter (0.2 ppm) to be repeated once in a few days if necessary. Acriflavine (trypaflavine) may be used instead at 0.2% solution (1 ml per liter). As acriflavine can possibly sterilize fish and copper can lead to poisoning, the water should be gradually changed after a cure has been effected.

Make sure it is Velvet before starting treament; maybe you have fungus and not velvet.

Good luck !!!! :headbang2:headbang2:headbang2

HypeMan808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hawaii
My fishes looks to have dust on their body.
And excreted this whitish colored film all over it's body and fins.
Some has red streaks on outer fins and body.
Gasping for air and loss of appitite.
She doesn't open her fins anymore but keeps them closed.
(I think that's clamping..)

I'll post a pic tomo. I'll keep the light off anyways up until I take the pic then it's going off again.

HypeMan808

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2009
Hawaii
Alright,
Going to the lfs today...

And sorry for the delay on pics.
Haven't really been home enough to take some.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store