my stingrays are swimming at the top

vinitnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
india
Two of my stingrays are swimming at the top of the tank. The tank is well airated and the remaining stingrays seem to be fine.

tank details

6 freshwater stingrays
7ft length ....1.5 ft hieght ....1.5ft width

100 gallons (uk )

ehiem prof 3 filter (1200 ltr)
2 ehiem air pumps
white sand bottom
HIKARI FOOD

I bought them 4 days back and they are about 5 inch diameter. These two rays are active but they wierdly swim at the top corner of the tank.They dont eat much and even the tail seems to be hanging.

Please someone guide me.

picture : http://vinitaquarium.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=77336371

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
did you add all six stingrays at once?
if so that is way too many in one go. that filter will not cope. on my 5 x 3 x 2 i had two fluval fx5's and a 3 foot fluid bed sand filter and they only just cope with three growing rays!
start on the water changes daily as i suspect you might be getting spikes after feeding.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Are they perhaps just playing like in this video?

[YT]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSlGsR2__4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VSlGsR2__4A&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

vinitnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
india
hello sam ,

thanks for your promt reply ...... what you say is surely making sense.
now what sould i do.

should i remove a few sting rays and do a water change .

vinitnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
india
they dont seem to be playing as they stay on the top all the time.....wonder how they get the stamina to have so much fun.....it just doesn't look right

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
vinitnair;4052898; said:
now what sould i do.
Take ammonia and nitrite readings.
If they're above zero change water, as much as you can. Keep changing water until both readings stay at zero for 24 hours.

vinitnair

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2010
india
hi pete

hmm..let me take the readings.....last time i did ..the ammonia reading came to 0.5 then i did perform a 30% water change...do you think i should do more!!

polish

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Ne, IN
www.tankterrors.com
Yes you'll need to do more water changes more often, there should be 0 Ammonia. Was the tank Cycled? Even if it was that was a large load to place on the system so it probably won't be able to keep up until more beneficial bacteria is made.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store