MOTORO ADVICE FOR RAY NEWBIE

Jardini24

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2010
Australia
Hi Everyone!

I'm really not a monster keeper, the biggest tank I own is 8ft X 2ft X 2ft, which I know is small as far as monster fish-keeping goes.

Nevertheless, I do have many years experience with general tropicals, Discus, Marines, etc, and thought I'd try my hand at keeping Stingrays...

My research has told me that the Motoros are the ideal for beginers (out of what is avialable in Australia, anyway).

Now I'm not buying until I've studied a book on them (ordered and on its way), but any advice I get from people or the net is conflicting, so I figured the folk on this site would know better than anyone. I'd rather not buy them if I'm not suited to them, so please be blunt with your opinions / ideas...

Anyway, here's my question: Can I keep a pair of Motoros (currently just under 15cm diameter) in a tank 4ft X 2ft X 2ft?

I've been told they won't outgrow it, as they grow according to the tank size (which I suspect is bull, as most fish grow anyway). I've also been told they get 3ft diameter, others say a little over 1ft. Some say they'll hit 2ft, but it takes many years, and that my tank will be fine for AGES, others say they grow rappidly.

If they'd be fine in the 4x2x2 for a few years, then that would do as I can provide them with something like a 6ft L X 3ft W x 18inch H in the future.

Can someone give me some clarification on their size / minimum tank requirments? :D

joey02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 22, 2007
Canada
thekingofdiy.com
A small pair might be ok in a 4x2x2 120gal for around a year with good filtration, and lots of water changes... after that they should be close to the 12" disc mark, and should be moved. Not all rays grow at the same pace thoug, so you may have a year in it, you may not...

skynoch

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2007
edmonton alberta canada
Too be safe if you own a female motoro be prepared for it to hit 26", if it's a male your more than likely not going to see the 20" mark. I've never heard of a motoro getting to the 3' mark let alone over 30". They do not grow to the tank size. A motoro will be stunted if it is not fed properly or your water conditions are kept in poor conditions which will also end in a very premature life. If you have a female motoro I would say to plan for a tank that has a minimum footprint of 8' x 3' but ideally 8' x 4'.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
Also keep in mind, the DISC may not reach 3', but the tail on a large female could definitely make up that extra 10". Eventually your tank will be too small and you will have to upgrade, but like joey said, you do have about a year with your 4x2x2.

Jardini24

Feeder Fish
Apr 9, 2010
Australia
Thanks guys, very helpful :)

The fella selling them (he bred them) is keeping two Motoros in a 6ft L x 2ft W x 18" H tank in his living room. Reckons he's had them in that tank for nearly four years. One is around 12" diameter, the other is 12 - 13" diameter. He says they've stopped growing.

I was concerned they'd be stunted - would stunting kill them soon? I'd assumed so.

The pups are kept in a very large round tub (diameter of about 7 feet) in his garage with a huge trickle filter hanging above it.

So I'm concerned to do it, as I'd rather not keep them if it was unsuitable. He is saying it is fine, and that his living room tank is proof of that. However, we must be cautious when taking advice from people who are trying to sell us something...

sam buckle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
cornwall
my motoros outgrew a 5' x 30" x 2' in one year.
the female grew from 4" disc to 13" in that time.
every ray is different but i would agree that you should look at a year tops for that tank.

PeteLockwood

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2009
Westfield NJ
His adult rays are stunted. End of story.

I wouldn't consider keeping Motoro in a 4x2x2 unless it was being used as a short-term growout for just a few months - with a good plan to have them in something much bigger very soon.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store