Dead Motoro Ray

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
I got a female and male marbled motoro ray yesterday morning and noticed a bit of skin of the female motoro ray , i thought it may just have been related to the stress of delivery, came down this morning and it seems most of the skin had come off and the ray was dead,the other one is fine and eating well.

Is it bacterial ? I've checked for ammonia and nitrite and they're both at zero.

Any ideaS?

manlyfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2010
michigan
proabably happened because of something at the store

turkeyboy85

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
mn
wow that looks really bad.... I wonder if she got flipped over on her back durring shipping and the rubbage on the bag ..... Sorry to hear that she died

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
I doubt a plec could get that much off. The skin's peeled to the point where the cartillage is showing. What the heck could actually have caused this. The only time ive ever seen something like this is when boiling water comes in contact with the ray. The skin just peels off leaving the cartillage perfectly intact.

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
Gshock;4059374; said:
I doubt a plec could get that much off. The skin's peeled to the point where the cartillage is showing. What the heck could actually have caused this. The only time ive ever seen something like this is when boiling water comes in contact with the ray. The skin just peels off leaving the cartillage perfectly intact.

I've got a L190 plec but that doesn't leave the wood in the tank, never botherd the poly's or the rays before so i don't think it would have been that. Shocked me mostly because there was only a tiny bit of skin off when i got it , the next day the hole bavk end was skinless. Water temp is around 28.5oC so it's not too hot, the heaters in the tank are 2 rena smart heaters that are plasticv coated and don;t get terribly hot as the room is fairly warm so they only kick in time to time.

Gshock

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2009
Toronto
always4lora;4060987; said:
I've got a L190 plec but that doesn't leave the wood in the tank, never botherd the poly's or the rays before so i don't think it would have been that. Shocked me mostly because there was only a tiny bit of skin off when i got it , the next day the hole bavk end was skinless. Water temp is around 28.5oC so it's not too hot, the heaters in the tank are 2 rena smart heaters that are plasticv coated and don;t get terribly hot as the room is fairly warm so they only kick in time to time.
I dont suspect the water either as you'd need to have literally boiling water for it to work. POssibly some kind of bacteria.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
im betting it was the pleco.

my plecos are attracted to wounds on rays. my pleco has sucked all the skin off of another fish b4 and killed it also.

always4lora

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2009
England
vamptrev;4061067; said:
im betting it was the pleco.

my plecos are attracted to wounds on rays. my pleco has sucked all the skin off of another fish b4 and killed it also.
Maybe it would have done then , i know it doesn't bother with the other 2 rays in the tank,although they're in full health.

Least the ray was only £115 which i guess isn't terribly bad, just means i need to wait another month to get another. Shame:(
Expensive hobby :(

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store