Telling BD pups from BDxLEO pups?

RedTailKinG

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2008
QUEENS NYC
they look almost the same as pups just a slight coloration differance and the edges of the disk have less spotting

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
it will deff be hard to tell in the future because we see alot of the lower grade wild bd's actually look like the leo/bd pics

u can tell that the pure bd pups had to have come from very high quality parents

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
INteresting, thanks for sharing....

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Someone correct me.... but aren't BD just a pattern variation of leopoldi?
And if so, wouldn't all BD techinally be leos?

haxjester

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
Toledo, OH
From what I know that's pretty much correct Zoodiver. Black Diamonds are collected from a certain region (the Sao Felix area of the Xingu, I think). Regular (classic) leo, and BD leo are still the same species. BD are regarded as higher quality because of the brighter white spots, and more of them. It seems to me to be the same difference between a "AAA king royal" marble, and a plain Jane marble. Same rays, just some look better and demand a higher price.

Now someone please correct me if I'm wrong because I personally do not own any leos at all, but from everything I've read on this site, and others, this is how it appears to be.

Personally I like the look of "classic" leos a little more because there is more black than spotting.

andersp90

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Denmark
fishguy306;4060007; said:
As far I know, yes, bd leos are the same as an everyday leo. Same with marble motoros and motoros. In my opinion people are taking these names waaaaay too far. Could just be me, but figured I would through it out there.
Motoros and marbels might not be the same species.

And BD could be a sub species of the normal leo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store