Feelings of inadequacy...

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
How is everyone else dealing with all the threads of just AMAZINGLY AWESOME rays that have been posted in the last couple weeks? Some of these threads just make me feel inadequate as a ray keeper, ONLY having 3 little motoro's.... :(

I know it's not true, and my one female is a stunner, but its still hard to look at some of the rays I see here, and then look back at my tank.

Anyways, sorry, just had to put it out there, and see if anyone else was suffering as much as I am....:D

(p.s. - I'm LOVING the pics nonetheless, so keep them coming!)

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
No reason to feel that way. In the end they are all just rays with different colors and patterns leading to more expensive species. Enjoy what you have, and upgrade when you can if you feel it necessary.

FishDog

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2008
B.G. KY
The best way to look at it is who else keeps rays. I only know of 3 people within a 200 mile radius that keep rays. I am sure there might be more but when people hear I keep stingrays they think it is the most amazing thing. They could give two cr*ps if it is a flower or a motoro. Just remember that you are one of the few!

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
FishDog;4065628; said:
The best way to look at it is who else keeps rays. I only know of 3 people within a 200 mile radius that keep rays. I am sure there might be more but when people hear I keep stingrays they think it is the most amazing thing. They could give two cr*ps if it is a flower or a motoro. Just remember that you are one of the few!
The same for me around here. I know of only two people and when I buy
night crawlers and the ask if I am going fishing I tell them no they are for my stingrays,
and it just amazes them. The don't know the difference between one species or the other.
It is just the idea that they met someone who keeps stingrays.

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
My .02 -

It's no different then going for a drive. You always see nicer cars, and eventually human nature takes over and you can't help but want what you can't have... Rays that are stupid expensive come with stupid risk, with stupid risk is stupid commitment. More time and money to invest to protect your initial investment. To me these are some of the turn offs of expensive rays that is easily overlooked. Everyone looses rays. After loosing expensive ones it can be a really rough road.

It's been said before raykeeping is a lifestyle, not a hobby. We should all be glad we have the company of eachother. I think at he end of the day it's easy to be proud of the fact you are successfully keeping such intresting animals successfully. If you have some swimming in a tank it means you're doing something right, not everyone can say that.

I think more then anything it's not what you have but what you do with what you have... Even Retics can change people's lives. Any FW rays open peoples' eyes, as we all know outside of MFK not a lot of people even know these things exist.

If you feel let down from too much time pic gazing on here invite someone who's never seen rays over to see yours. Gaurenteed you get a lil appreciation for what you have back.....

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
FishDog;4065628; said:

Yah, once Hybridtheory sold me his male, I don't know anyone else in town right now keeping rays (successfully). You're the closest person I know with rays besides Florencebigfish!

I know I shouldn't feel this way, its just the quality of some of the rays recently has been truly amazing. And I do appreciate the ones that I have, they are awesome fish, and I'm thankful to be able to keep them as well as I do.

I guess it is just a little jealousy showing, seeing what kinds of amazing rays there are out there, and knowing that, barring some meaningful life events, I probably won't ever see most of them in person, let alone own one or more of them.

My fiance's family came in town last week (they're still here), and they've been ooh'ing and ah'ing over them for the last 2 days, so that's helped some.

And I agree DB Junkie... whats the point in owning a Ferrari if you can't afford the insurance, right?

Thanks guys!

wheresalbany

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 7, 2006
Keene, NH
DB junkie;4066131; said:
I think more then anything it's not what you have but what you do with what you have... Even Retics can change people's lives. Any FW rays open peoples' eyes, as we all know outside of MFK not a lot of people even know these things exist.
I've run into this many times. The most common question I get (and sometimes repeatedly get from some people) is if they're saltwater or not. When I tell people I keep rays, their jaws drop, especially when I pull out the pictures

ShadowStryder;4065722; said:
when I buy
night crawlers and the ask if I am going fishing I tell them no they are for my stingrays,
and it just amazes them. The don't know the difference between one species or the other.
It is just the idea that they met someone who keeps stingrays.
I'm surprised no one has said anything about my apparent high seafood diet when Im buying pounds of shrimp and fish fillets.

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
Just imagine who California, Arizona, Florida, and Hawaii feels.

Conner

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2008
Kentucky
ShadowStryder;4065722; said:
when I buy
night crawlers and the ask if I am going fishing I tell them no they are for my stingrays, and it just amazes them. The don't know the difference between one species or the other. It is just the idea that they met someone who keeps stingrays.
This is pretty fun, since I buy 6-8 tubs of 20 nightcrawlers at a time. They think I've got a big fishing trip planned, and I'm like "no, just feeding my stingrays for a week".

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store