feeder size for rbp?

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
blyth, newcastle, england
i am wanting to hear peoples experience on feeding red belly piranhas.

i have three 2.5" rbp and am gonna start breeding convicts cichlids as feeders for them.

i was thinking maybe around 1 fish the same size as my p's (or equivelent) once a day would be about right?

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
Your piranhas are small yet a convict the same size will probably whip up on your piranhas.lol convicts probably need to be a lil smaller.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
so maybe a couple of 1" convicts?

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
I would go with smaller ones. You could try bigger ones but convicts are a tough fish they'd probably bully your rbps.

scottswald

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2010
well they'd take a while to get to that size anyway, i just meant for the vvolume of the food...

BRUNER247

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2010
Misery
1-1" should be enough. Feed em one if they finish him throw another in.pellets, bloodworms, worms, shrimp, krill ect also, feed slow they'll let you know when they getting full and adjust accordingly.rbp's are hogs. They'll eat a lot!

ballinouttacntrol

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
Eugene, Or
If you're talking tossing in smaller convicts, i don't think you need to worry about how many you're putting in as the piranhas will just pick them off when they're hungry. Absolutely no harm in overfeeding fry as it's not the same as leaving dead food rotting.

I breed convict also for feeder also.

aramirez8689

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2010
st charles il
i have 13 2.5 inch rbps and there is a 1 inch convict that eats with them they just wont touch him and they have eatin live b4 like platys and smaller convicts but blackworms seems to be the ticket they grew preety fast on them

spaulding

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2007
south bend, IN
i have four rbps around 3" with around 20 fancy guppies that they have no interest in. they seem perfectly content with pellets, fish fillets, nightcrawlers, etc. with how easy it is to feed them prepared/frozen foods i don't see much of a point in screwing around with breeding convicts for them. but if you do want to go the convict route i don't believe it would make a difference if you had more fry in the tank than they could eat at one time. they can always pick em of at thier own convienence.

ihansterx4i

Feeder Fish
Nov 20, 2014
Mars
If you're talking tossing in smaller convicts, i don't think you need to worry about how many you're putting in as the piranhas will just pick them off when they're hungry. Absolutely no harm in overfeeding fry as it's not the same as leaving dead food rotting.

I breed convict also for feeder also.
I keep reading that convicts are so easy to breed but when people with piranha try to feed them the piranha either get bullied by the convicts or they have no interest in them.

Have you been experiencing the same?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store